Apple Remote/Front Row Delay

P

prendio2

I have a brand new intel iMac 20" - out of the box yesterday - and already i am experiencing some problems with the remote.. often when i click menu to launch front row there is a delay of 15-60s before it finally launches.. other programs will continue to work fine, then finally it responds and launches front row... similarly, inside in front row it might not respond to buttons on the remote but will respond to the keyboard...

should i be considering returning the remote or is this a common problem easily fixed?

cheers
Oisin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I am not sure but for the launch, maybe its starting and initializing? as for the not responding to the buttons, is the remote facing the imac properly?

OP
O

onestep

iWonder said:
I am not sure but for the launch, maybe its starting and initializing? as for the not responding to the buttons, is the remote facing the imac properly?

If you notice, the first time you launch front row, it does take a few seconds.. it is launching. However, subsequent launches will be very fast, because it is already running in the background.

Also, you may try pressing menu twice on the remote to launch it, that's what it says in the iMac book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Also, have you run Software Update yet? You should get the latest release of OS X and the latest updates for all of your programs. The remote is IR which operates very much on line-of-sight, so make sure you're pointing it at the iMac correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Hmm... I just checked, the delay loading and going back is probably a total of... five seconds at most? there is something wrong if it's 60 seconds every time take it back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
60 seconds as stated above is way out of line. There was an update that spead it up a bit. My G5 iSight iMac takes less than 5. Install all the OSX updates and if it still does that take it to the store where you bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
iMac G5...............Frontrow...... 3 secs on a timer everytime

OP
J

jgl24

Any luck getting this fixed?

I have a mini that worked great... until... I did a software update last night and now I have the same problem: Up to 60 seconds waiting for front row to launch - every time. Then, also in Front Row button presses take the same amount of time to register. The only other change is that I installed DivX. Could this cause it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
5 seconds first launch, 1 second subsequent launches...

I also have DivX installed, so that shouldn't be it.

But if you're running low on RAM, that might also slow down the start up time of front row.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.