Trackpad problem - please help!

Reaction score
I have a much loved Macbook Pro from 2009. Last night the click on the trackpad stopped working. The pointer still worked but just no click. I turned the computer off and turned it upside down overnight in case water or something got into it, so it would drain out or dislodge.

Then this morning the click was working again. But it felt a slight bit different. Less of a pronounced "click" feeling and more of a soft click. But still seems to be working. However, sometimes I can't highlight text and often I cant drag the blue side bar on websites to scroll down.

Does anyone know what could have happened or what is wrong? Or how to fix it? Would it be expensive to take to the apple store to get it fixed. I don't have warranty anymore because my computer is from 2009.

M

MacInWin

Is the battery swelling? I had a MBP that had similar symptoms and the problem turned out to be the battery had swollen up and was pressing on the bottom of the trackpad, restricting the movement and changing the "click" feel. New battery solved the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.:)

I am not sure. How do I tell? There is nothing obvious wrong with the computer. It doesn't look swollen or anything like that.

What could have caused it, do you know?

Thanks in advance.

M

MacInWin

Go to OWC, look for your model, see if they have a battery replacement video. Lithium batteries can swell when the chemistry inside gets a bit sideways as they age. Swollen batteries are actually a safety hazard if the swelling gets severe enough. OWC sells replacement batteries at a reasonable price, too, if yours is swollen. If you do replace the battery, dispose of the swollen one through a reputable recycle location as the battery does contain pretty nasty chemicals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
Go to OWC, look for your model, see if they have a battery replacement video. Lithium batteries can swell when the chemistry inside gets a bit sideways as they age. Swollen batteries are actually a safety hazard if the swelling gets severe enough. OWC sells replacement batteries at a reasonable price, too, if yours is swollen. If you do replace the battery, dispose of the swollen one through a reputable recycle location as the battery does contain pretty nasty chemicals.
I tried to follow the links you provided but they took me to Verizon. Perhaps you entered the wrong addresses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a bit odd.

When I viewed your post as a guest (that is, not logged in) I saw 3 links. One at the OWC text, one at the battery replacement text and one at the replacement batteries text. The first link took me to OWC, the second and third to Verizon. Here is the actual Verizon link the battery replacement text took me to:

America's Largest 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

When I came back to reply and logged in the 2 extra links disappeared. When I logged out again and read your post they were back. It seems very strange.

M

MacInWin

Those two links were ads, added somewhere else. Get Ghostery and install it to block trackers and adware. My only link was the OWC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those two links were ads, added somewhere else. Get Ghostery and install it to block trackers and adware. My only link was the OWC.
That would explain it.

Reaction score
honestly there are other issues to take into account as well. not only the battery can swell but that model was also known for a bad trackpad design this is why ebay sells lots of replacements for this model.

use a external mouse and get it into a mac store asap

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.