Installed Windows on second HD (SSD), now extremely slow

Reaction score
I installed my new SSD as a secondary internal hard drive instead of SuperDrive and tried to install Windows 7 on it this way and it's now extremely slow and unusable.
I opened Bootcamp assistant and created Windows USB. Then it recognized that I have a second internal drive and I clicked continue. It created BOOTCAMP partition on SSD and restarted but went nowhere.
Then I read online that certain Macs don't boot off USB and that the drive you install on has to be in the main hd slot. So I put my SSD drive in the main hd slot and put the optical drive back. Then I booted through Windows 7 install CD and installed Windows on SSD. Everything seemed to be fine and I was able to boot to Windows.
I took the optical drive out, put SSD in its place and put the original HD back to original spot.
Now I am able to see Windows and OSX through REFIT and can boot into Windows but it is extremely slow and always freezes. I actually think that OSX became slower too.

Not sure if this was the correct way to install it so any suggestions are welcome.
BTW the SSD drive is brand new, so I highly doubt that it has issue.
I believe it's 2011 Macbook Pro.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on?
My goal is to have OSX on original drive and Windows on a second SSD drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you did it the way it will work. Windows by default will not install in the optical drive slot due to anti-piracy prohibitions by Microsoft. The only way to get it work is the way you did it.

How did you install the OS X drivers for Windows 7? Part of the Boot Camp procedure is to obtain drivers from Apple by using the latest Boot Camp software for your Mac. Without the Apple drivers, Windows 7 will not function correctly. Probably why Windows 7 freezes and is sluggish.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, you did it the way it will work. Windows by default will not install in the optical drive slot due to anti-piracy prohibitions by Microsoft. The only way to get it work is the way you did it.

How did you install the OS X drivers for Windows 7? Part of the Boot Camp procedure is to obtain drivers from Apple by using the latest Boot Camp software for your Mac. Without the Apple drivers, Windows 7 will not function correctly. Probably why Windows 7 freezes and is sluggish.

It was slow even before installing the drivers. But I also thought that this might be the problem and used my old drivers that I downloaded in the past (which did not include this new hard drive). I'll try to install new drivers to see if it helps.
I will also try to switch places of the two drives and see if that makes a difference, I read somewhere that this could be the issue for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Switching sounds a better idea. Your MBP comes with 6GB/s in the hard drive position, and could be 3GB/s in optical drive slot if it is the early 2011 model.

OP
P
Reaction score
So I swapped the two drives and it works properly now. I guess the optical slot is slower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.