Simple way to network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
I have an imac and Macbook pro.
What do I do to set up a network between the 2?
I can get into my macbook from imac but not the other way around.
I checked settings,they look the same but my imac will not let me in from my macbook.

Reaction score
If you would like to share files between them, you would open System Preferences (the gear icon in the dock), under there click Sharing, then File Sharing. It will tell you how to connect to the computer.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
If you would like to share files between them, you would open System Preferences (the gear icon in the dock), under there click Sharing, then File Sharing. It will tell you how to connect to the computer.

Nope, thats what I tried all morning.
I can network into both of my husbands macs, all except my newest one purchased this year.It must have extra security somewhere I am not seeing.

Anyone else have ideas?

Reaction score
you need at least one machine running server.

you can only file share between a set number of macs

Reaction score
Nope, thats what I tried all morning.
I can network into both of my husbands macs, all except my newest one purchased this year.It must have extra security somewhere I am not seeing.

Anyone else have ideas?
I'm sorry I wasn't good enough for you.

When you say it's not letting you network, what is it doing, exactly? Is it giving some sort of message?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
you need at least one machine running server.

you can only file share between a set number of macs

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding the number of Mac's involved this is not true in this case. For basic file sharing between a few Macs a server, or server edition of the OS, is not needed. I've shared files between as many as three Macs without a server or server software. You can probably do more but I haven't tried it.

In addition to knowing any error messages which happen something occurs to me: Think about any differences between the Mac you can log into and the one you can't. When you try to log into the Mac that fails are you logging into an account on that Mac? If you use the wrong account name or password the login won't work The account has to exist on the Mac you are logging into and the user name and password have to be correct.

Reaction score
Question do you have a workgroup hub or are you trying to do this with a router or wifi??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Something for the OP to check, in the Sharing Pref Pane -> File Sharing checked as enabled, there needs to be at least one share listed in the Shared Folders column.

Sounds obvious but sometimes missed. ;)

And also some LAN network setup either via wireless or E'net or both.

What shows up when selecting Go(Finder menu) -> Network?
That's where the 'shared' computer name should show, then clicked on to open and mount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Here's how I did:

Turn on File sharing on both machines.

Find each computer's IP address under System Preferences>Network.

Open up a Finder window on each computer and make sure the other's name is listed under the Shared section in the left hand sidebar. From there, just click on the machine you want to connect to and enter the user password.

If the password isn't accepted or you don't see the computer listed in the sidebar, in Finder click on the Go menu up on top and choose Connect to Server. Enter the IP address of the other computer and see if it connects.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.