Having a bit of a visual problem after installing new fonts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
I installed a good amount of new fonts today, mostly .ttfs. Soon after, I noticed a couple of my apps were acting funny (see attachments).

iTunes is completely daffy, and Mail seems to have some spacing issues (notice the blue circles in the attachment).

After seeing how iTunes' new font-of-choice was something that looked Chinese or Japanese, I opened Font Book and deleted all things chinese/japanese/korean. After re-opening iTunes, it's still screwy.

Is there something I can do to fix the issues you'll see in the attachments?

Picture-2.gif

Picture-3.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
looks like it got in your system fonts and it searched for replacements. I'd go into you actual system folder and check it out for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
hmm...

Had a bit of a problem (myself) with fonts before, after I upgraded from Jaguar to Tiger. The fonts in Safari became Malaylum, or something like it. Nothing was readable; the fonts in Mail got messed up too. Restarting proved to fix the Mail problem, but not for Safari. Luckily, I made a new folder inside Library/Fonts labeled "Added Fonts," and after deleting the said added fonts, my system returned to normal. What I did afterwards, was to painstakingly add fonts (that I was unsure of, not the ones that I'd added and used before in Jag) one (or two) at a time, restart, and check that my Apps didn't get screwed up. My system worked fine afterwards.

Hope this helps. :yinyang:

Fonts-Folder.jpg

Added-Fonts-Folder.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
shetz said:
Had a bit of a problem (myself) with fonts before, after I upgraded from Jaguar to Tiger. The fonts in Safari became Malaylum, or something like it. Nothing was readable; the fonts in Mail got messed up too. Restarting proved to fix the Mail problem, but not for Safari. Luckily, I made a new folder inside Library/Fonts labeled "Added Fonts," and after deleting the said added fonts, my system returned to normal. What I did afterwards, was to painstakingly add fonts (that I was unsure of, not the ones that I'd added and used before in Jag) one (or two) at a time, restart, and check that my Apps didn't get screwed up. My system worked fine afterwards.

Hope this helps. :yinyang:

I also ceased to use FontBook and opted for Extensis Suitcase, which is a far better font app IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
FontBook

deus_ex_machina said:
I also ceased to use FontBook and opted for Extensis Suitcase, which is a far better font app IMHO.

Yeah, FontBook blows chunks, it was too dang slow (kept having to refresh and refresh and refresh and...). Incidentally, I haven't used Extensis Suitcase since OS 9; the removal of the font limit restriction (from OS 9) allowed me to easily add and remove fonts without worry. By managing my fonts manually, I know what fonts I have installed, and can save myself the hassle of picking and knowing what fonts are active, disabled, etc.

Still @ herkalees, unless you're very familiar with your fonts, I suggest you opt for deus_ex's suggestion about Suitcase. It might be exactly what you need.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro; 8GB RAM; 256GB SSD; 27" Thunderbolt Display
Thanks guys, I sorted it out the hard way ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.