• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any value in an iPhone 4s running iOS 5?

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sell my iPhone 4s before the release of the new phone. It currently is running iOS 5.0.1. Do you all think there is any value in this, or should I just update the phone before selling it?
The phone has the original youtube with no ads, original google maps, etc.. Wondering if I advertise it with this iOS will it generate interest since you don't see phones running it that often? What do you all think its worth?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Look on eBay, Craigslist and other sites for phone lines yours and see what they are selling it for to determine what you might get for it..

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked but could not find any phones still running iOS 5, at least phones that are capable of running iOS 7 like my 4S.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A refresh of IOS5 with a new user account on my iPad 1 rendered it almost useless as Ibooks and everything else the friend I am giving the iPad one to would not install on IOS5. That might be a point to upgrade to at least 6.

I did later find a sort of trick to get older versions to download but that does not work with all the Apps my friend needed.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.