iMAC DVD Drive doesn't play Movies

Reaction score
Haven't used my DVD player in a long time, decided to play a newly acquired Movie and it kept popping back out - so I tried a dozen more, same symptoms. I popped in a Music CD and it plays - whats wrong?? I use Quicktime, VLC, and DVD Player.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't identify your Mac but what you described is a common symptom of a Mac slot loading drive not working right. It's not unusual for a DVD to work OK but a CD not work and vice versa. Buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts into the drive slot to see if that restores it to working for both DVDs and CDs.

C

chas_m

There is more than one laser reader in the optical drive, because CDs and DVDs don't actually use the same technique for being read. Sounds like the DVD (red) laser is having a problem. The compressed air might fix it.

OP
T
Reaction score
You didn't identify your Mac but what you described is a common symptom of a Mac slot loading drive not working right. It's not unusual for a DVD to work OK but a CD not work and vice versa. Buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts into the drive slot to see if that restores it to working for both DVDs and CDs.

Thanx - I am in South Sudan and it is dusty here - the compressed air did the trick, I have a 27" iMAC circa late 2009 - its been to Iraq, Afghanistan and now South Sudan.

Once in awhile the Drive kicks in and sounds like it is ejecting something, but there is no disc in the drive. I credit it to old age like me.

Reaction score
yep it happens honestly i have had 36 slot loading drives go bad on everything from xserves to iMacs to even g4 cubes and the weirdest moment the xserve because it used a g4 mac mini slot loading drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.