Problems with graphics card - Advice 2010 27inch iMac 5750 card

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum but thought I would try to get some advice.:Blushing:

Problem - iMac boots and gets to desktop - but shortly after glitches with purple and green squares flashing over screen and freezes within a minute or 30.

I have been using it in target display mode with a windows pc since the start of the year (when the freezes started) no problem as long as I get time to press command F2 to put it in target display mode.

I haven't used it as a desktop for a fair while but I can launch a game (Bioshock 3 at start of year was the last) and it will run fine until I go back to desktop, mysterious. :Confused:

I have now bought a nice new 30 inch monitor to use with the pc and want to fix the iMac to use as basically a web browser/pdf viewer.

Anyway I am pretty sure it is a failing video card after doing some research on the topic. The problem is my research only really turned up people wanting to upgrade video cards but I want the cheapest card that will work.

So I am willing to spend say around $150 - I am also willing to take some risks around compatibility and have taken the screen out and been at the graphics card before when it first stopped working and don't have much to lose.

So what is likely to work and what are the cheapest options.

Been looking at different laptop cards that match those that apple used in models from 2009-2011, but don't want to take the plunge without some advice.

Could I use this from ebay and I know this wasn't used in an iMac but I could perhaps use some kind of hackintosh kext.

Any help would be awesome!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway I am pretty sure it is a failing video card after doing some research on the topic. The problem is my research only really turned up people wanting to upgrade video cards but I want the cheapest card that will work.

So I am willing to spend say around $150 - I am also willing to take some risks around compatibility and have taken the screen out and been at the graphics card before when it first stopped working and don't have much to lose.

So what is likely to work and what are the cheapest options.

Been looking at different laptop cards that match those that apple used in models from 2009-2011, but don't want to take the plunge without some advice.

What you may not realize is…Apple iMac's are not like Windows desktop computers…where video cards can just be swapped in & out. On most iMac models…there is no "video card". The "video hardware" is soldered directly into the logic board (not swappable or changeable).

There is the rare iMac model that does have a socketed "video card"…and if you've been inside your 27" iMac…and if it does have a socketed video card…then you may be in luck.:)

If this is the case…then generally the replacement video cards are best sourced from the same iMac "family". Meaning the other models released at the same time (in this case 2010 iMac's).

In your case…the Radeon 5750 is the best video card offered in 2010 27" iMacs. So you would primarily be looking for a replacement 5750.

But…this all depends on if your iMac has a socketed video card. If not…then it needs a replacement logic board.

- Nick

p.s. FYI…we DO NOT discuss anything "hackintosh" related at Mac-Forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry for breaking rules.

The graphics card is a mxm socket with huge heatsink attached.

Does the forum know if the card can be any mxm card like used in standard laptops that was used in imac series 11

ie. one of 4850, 4670, 5670, 5750

or even any mxm card that apple has used in other laptops or other products.

Thanks for your response.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The graphics card is a mxm socket with huge heatsink attached.

ie. one of 4850, 4670, 5670, 5750

or even any mxm card that apple has used in other laptops or other products.

Thanks for verifying that your 27" iMac has a socketed video card.:)

To be very honest…replacing or swapping video cards in iMacs is not a common occurrence (in fact it is quite rare). So info on it is going to be very limited.

What I will say is…for best success…using a video card from the same series iMac is probably the best bet (2010 27" iMac). Beyond this is going to be experimentation (unless you can do some internet searching to find info otherwise).

The 2010 27" iMacs used the following video cards:

- Radeon 5670
- Radeon 5750

So if it were me…these are one of the replacement video cards I would be looking for. And since your iMac has a 5750 (and the 5750 is the better card)…I would be looking for that one.:)

- Nick

p.s. If the 21.5" 2010 iMac's also have socketed video cards…I'm not sure if they will work in the 27" models (since the 27" models didn't ship with all of them). The 21.5" 2010 iMac's came with Radeon HD 4670 & Radeon HD 5670. I'm not 100% sure if the 5670 used in both of the 21.5" and 27" 2010 iMacs are the same shape.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for responses.

I am trawling ebay now looking for the cheapest viable option, lucky I'm a gamblin' man.

Decision will be made soon!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just took a look. They certainly aren't cheap. The good thing with eBay is. If someone sells you something that doesn't work…and if the seller doesn't do the right thing…you can open a dispute to rectify things.

If you decide to replace the video card…please post how things went. This sort of info is hard to come by…so it would be great to hear from you after it's done!

Good luck,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your link isn't quite working right…but I figured it out.

If that 6770 card works…that will be pretty amazing…and some useful knowledge. That card is from an HP laptop…so who know's if it will work in an iMac. It's MUCH less expensive that the 5750's I saw on eBay US.

Good luck,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't want to sound pessimistic but I too would be amazed if that card works in your iMac. For sure let us know how it all turns out.

OP
B
Reaction score
Good or bad I will let you know what happens.

Based on what I have researched and think - I expect that it will not work during efi boot (black screen), but should work with the drivers already in the system once finder loads, like it does on a Mac Pro with generic video card. I may have modify a plist file or attempt to modify firmware on the card or something.

As a last resort I will create a Windows install on another machine, and then swap in the hard drive to the iMac from experience I am certain I will get a windows desktop eventually. It does take the mac a bit of thinking before it will boot a straight Windows or Linux disk but I have done this on a similar era Macbook Pro and it does eventually.

Anyway I can always try another card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Worry about that 'pulled from a HP laptop'. We are talking your iMac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree...I will be surprised if the 6770 video card the OP is thinking of using works. But...the OP does sound like a pretty handy person from what they mentioned...so it wil be very interesting to see what happens!:)

For what it's worth. The 6770 video card the OP is going to try costs about $45US. When I searched eBay for a genuine 27" 2010 iMac 5750 (with heatsink) video card...it was like $400-$500 bucks!

If the OP gets this HP laptop 6770 card to work...and only costs $45US...that will be pretty amazing.

For what it's worth #2. Apple did use a Radeon 6770m video card/video hardware in "Late 2011" 15" and 17" MacBook Pro's. And in some "Mid-2011" iMac's. But of course in the MacBook Pro application...this video hardware was soldered (not a socketed card)...like it is in the HP laptop,

So who knows...maybe the OP has a shot at getting this to work.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My iMac uses that very card Nick but says 'built in':-

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6740
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170C-181
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.588
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My 21.5 iMac (2011 model) used the same card. But take note the card used in our iMacs is the "mobile" version not the same as was pulled from the HP. I believe the mobile version operated with lower voltages and definitely uses different drivers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear you guys.:) That's why I mentioned to the OP that this would be a bit of an experiment if trying to use that 6770 card.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Whether a gambling man or not, and to help save some frustration and aggravation - and possibly money, is the old site that's still going regarding "modding" and firmware etc., and a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find an answer at Apple/Mac/OS X News, Tips and Tech Articles - xlr8yourmac.com

And/or maybe some of the hackintosh sites. They really get into some modding. ;) :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Further update - thoughts and why I am 70% Confident.

I currently have the machine apart - 5750 graphics card inside is generic mxm with a couple of apple stickers and I do know the vbios or device/vendor ids may be different.

I am currently separating the display to clean the backlight or back of LCD where it has stained on the right from my smoking. Big light brown water sort of stain noticeable mainly on the white page of google.

Back to next week's problem (when the card is delivered)

On compatibility

1. The HP card and the original 5750 are both MXM 3 and they are both size A. I have no reason to believe that they will operate with different voltages. The current heatsink should fit on the new card fine. 95% certain that the 6770 card will (assuming it is not a dud) fit and function correctly at the interface level.

2. Apple used this card in a range of products, they have appropriate drivers for it in iMac form or Macbook Pro form - The most likely problem here (I'm ignoring pre finder potential efi problems because the machine will power through them fine) is that OS X will not recognise the card as what it is and use the correct driver. This will most likely result in OS X using a standard driver (like old VGA standard, but newer). Quartz extreme will be disabled but I will still have access to finder just slower and probably lower resolution. 70% certain I will get to finder and if that is the case vendor ids, and drivers can be fixed.

3. Fall back option, straight Windows install, no bootcamp, just bios emulated boot into windows. 99% certain this will work.

Hey I understand the doubt, I have it too, but a AUD 75 (card + postage) gamble is worth it for me. The cheapest option that would be certain to work seems to be about USD 300 + postage. I reckon I could get maybe AUD 600 for the iMac if I sold it, definately not worth spending US 300 for a video card.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Unless I've missed it the OP doesn't state exactly what 27" iMac he has. If it is the mid 2011 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 using an AMD Radeon HD 6970M and last 4 digits of the iMac's S/N are DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, DMW8 DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F or F610 it's replacement could be covered FOC. To comply it would have to fail the ASD VST test at an AASP or Genius Bar.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.