Forgot FileVault 2 password to Macbook Air, how to reinstall?

Reaction score
I have a recent Macbook Air that has file vault 2 installed. I reset my password this morning, but cannot remember it at all this afternoon. I have all my files backedup so I am not worried about data loss. So I went to do a reinstall from the recovery partition and its asking me for my password... which is the password I do not know. I also do not remember putting the recovery key down anywhere (stupid I know).

How can I just reinstall Mavericks on the system now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Big trouble FileVault if you do not know the password. Suggest taking it to th Genius Bar or Apple Reseller but be prepared won't be cheap. Any chance you stored the Recovery Key with Apple?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without the password and recovery key, you're stuck since it won't allow the erasing of the hard drive nor reinstallation without it. Are you near an Apple Store? If you are, take your MBA with you and take along your proof of ownership (sales receipt, Apple care registration, credit card receipt, etc) and ask the genius bar to reinstall Mavericks for you. There should not be a charge to do it provided you take it to an Apple store not an authorized re-seller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie why will Resellers not do this? Where I am in rural Australia only 350 miles each way to either Sydney or Brisbane Apple Store. Not that I would ever consider File Vault - terrible black magic!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Resellers will do it Harry. The problem is that they will charge the going rate of labor to do the work. That's why we direct folks to go to an Apple store where things like resetting a password, reinstalling the OS, and even doing diagnostics are done free of charge. That's why Apple has the best customer service in the US and probably elsewhere too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well never been lucky enough to visit an actual Apple Store only Resellers who often seem more interested in their PC line of merchandise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.