• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Advantages of Final Cut Pro

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am dabbling with FCP - the trial version - and although I have done a bit of research, I can find no real advantage over iMovie (I'm on iMovie 11) apart from elaborate colour correction.

Can anyone spell out in simple terms why I should spend £200.00 on it?

Cheers

Mitcherooney

C

chas_m

FCP might not be right for your needs, but of course you didn't really elaborate on what your needs are. FCP's main advantages over something like iMovie are:

a. Multiple tracks of video
b. Multiple tracks of audio
c. More precise editing
d. Colour correction
e. Works with more pro formats, particularly in HD and 4K
f. In conjunction with Compressor or Motion, has many other capabilities iMovie doesn't have, like mastering for DVD or adding motion graphics.

There are many others but that's the main advantages.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

It's much as I thought. There are some 'terrific' esoteric options which are way above my head which I can probably live without quite happily.

I was hoping that the program would provide better quality output - sharpened images, for instance, something more akin to commercial DVD quality. Perhaps it does and I just haven't figured it out yet....

Cheers again M

C

chas_m

That's not a function of FCP or iMovie -- that is a function of the quality of the video, and the format to which it will be converted.

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.

It's much as I thought. There are some 'terrific' esoteric options which are way above my head which I can probably live without quite happily.

I was hoping that the program would provide better quality output - sharpened images, for instance, something more akin to commercial DVD quality. Perhaps it does and I just haven't figured it out yet....

Cheers again M

Well, both iMovie and Final Cut Pro output full 1080P HD, which is much higher quality than "commercial DVD". But there's the Garbage In, Garbage Out factor to consider here. Are you shooting Standard Definition video and expecting "commercial DVD quality" output? Commercial DVD's are typically mastered from HD sources and down sampled. Are you shooting HD video? What are you using? How do your clips look before you edit them? Your issues may also result from editing heavily compressed clips and/or improper settings in your projects. For what it's worth, there is a sharpening tool in Final Cut but it can't save an image that's too soft right out of the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Greetings.

I am dabbling with FCP - the trial version - and although I have done a bit of research, I can find no real advantage over iMovie (I'm on iMovie 11) apart from elaborate colour correction.

Can anyone spell out in simple terms why I should spend £200.00 on it?

Cheers

Mitcherooney

- Better at cleaning up audio
- Multiple video and audio track syncing tools
- handles multiple video and audio tracks at one time
- loads of customizable plugins
- key frames

Essentially if you haven't noticed anything in it that you need, its likely you wouldn't use any more of the features that you already have in iMovie.

The two main reasons I made the move was easily be able to sync audio and video files, and better tools at cleaning up audio.

I now record into my mac video quicktime audio record option via a Samson USB Meteor Mic (Cardioid mic), video is from my Canon 70D DSLR (1080P, 30FPS) which I can very very easily and quickly sync in FCP without any issues into a single file. Plus the audio correction tools make sure my audio is optimal and consistent with every new view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
That's not a function of FCP or iMovie -- that is a function of the quality of the video, and the format to which it will be converted.

This.. I agree..

@ OP, What video camera system are you using? Codec and compression?

I shoot 1920x1080 @ 30FPS in IPB mode on my Canon 70D DSLR which outputs to a fairly large Quicktime .MOV file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.