Security Update 2006-001 disabled network

Reaction score
I've just installed Apple's Security Update 2006-001 on my 12" PowerBook running 10.3.9. (I also installed iTunes 6.0.4.) I did this via Software Update. I was connected to my network over airport at the time.

After restarting, all network services are disabled after the installation. My IPs are manually set. It claims I have no IP. Issue applies to both built-in ethernet and to my airport card. The airport card is connecting to the wireless router just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

-sdgelvin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
sdgelvin said:
I've just installed Apple's Security Update 2006-001 on my 12" PowerBook running 10.3.9. (I also installed iTunes 6.0.4.) I did this via Software Update. I was connected to my network over airport at the time.

After restarting, all network services are disabled after the installation. My IPs are manually set. It claims I have no IP. Issue applies to both built-in ethernet and to my airport card. The airport card is connecting to the wireless router just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

-sdgelvin
Try repairing disk permissions and restarting again. Software updates can sometimes do screwy things that a good old fashioned disk permission repair will fix.

OP
S
Reaction score
Try repairing disk permissions and restarting again. Software updates can sometimes do screwy things that a good old fashioned disk permission repair will fix.

It took a bit, but this ultimately took care of it. It was the first time I've had to do that in nearly 3 years!

Thanks for the help.

-sdgelvin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The way that I update my computer, and I have never had problems when doing this, is I quit all my programs, run a backup, then run repair disk permissions, then I do the update.. then I restart and run permissions again..

Doing this I've never had a problem.

Sometimes I go a step further when doing a incremental upgrade from 10.4.4 to .5, I restart my computer and then when I login I hold down the shift key to login without any of my startup items, then do the above upgrade process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.