Mavericks & Active Directory/Windows Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch dual-core i7 1.7GHz/8GB/256GB flash. iPhone 4 16GB. iPad mini retina 16GB....
Hello,

I work on a windows network at work, a couple of staff use Macs but these are not integrated on the windows network - not on the windows domain.

I currently have a Mac Book Air which runs Mavericks & Windows 7. Is there any way I can access my windows network drives on the mac? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Do I need to have a Mac Server on the network for this to happen?

I've posted here previously and feel at home asking questions here. Thanks for all your help again guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I currently have a Mac Book Air which runs Mavericks & Windows 7. Is there any way I can access my windows network drives on the mac? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Do I need to have a Mac Server on the network for this to happen?

You do not need an OS X server on the network to access the Windows network drives. You can gain access from Windows 7 which you're running on your MBA. If you're trying to join a Windows domain from your MBA, I believe you will need to be running Windows 7 Pro. Your IT should be able to get you setup.

OP
krissy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch dual-core i7 1.7GHz/8GB/256GB flash. iPhone 4 16GB. iPad mini retina 16GB....
Hi,

Thanks :D I'm trying to do it myself which I guess will be challenging. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1.

Looking for resources online to assist and I'll bug the IT guys if I need to. I would like to try to do this myself as it's better for me to learn. In my company we support schools and they are all keen to use Macs on their Windows networks. I feel it would also benefit me if I could learn how to do these things as well as the Field IT and Service Desk workers. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.