• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie empty of projects?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 MBP 2.6GHz, iPhone 4, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, iPod 3rd gen, iPod Touch 2nd gen
Using a 2013 MBP 2.4gz with 10.9.4 and iMovie 10.0.5. I was working on a project for a video of my son, finished last night, happened to do an external drive backup to my Lacie drive before finished for the night. I have several other projects in iMovie, however the great majority, if not all but the one of my son have been moved over to the Lacie drive.
I opened iMovie today and had no projects or events at all.

Could the event of my son's I was working been somehow saved to the Lacie drive? This hasn't happened previously... I can't check until I get home, but was suddenly worried that something mysteriously happened that I lost everything. Anyone have any input as to what may be going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
I'd try not to stress about it until you are actually in front of the situation my man. But to answer your question, yes, they can be saved on an external. You'd simply have to bring them back into iMovie if that's the case but I would agree that that is rather strange seeing as how they haven't been saving there and then all-of-sudden a pedo-bear appears.

So if you want to go down the rabbit hole without any means of validating anything, let's go: did you plug Lacie in afore or after getting down with iMovie? Also, check this folder for your projects, /Users/YourUserName/Movies and then right click on iMovie Library and select "Show Package Contents"... all your stuff should be in there unless you have changed the save spot. Then I'd do the same thing on ye olde Lacie... maybe just do a spotlight search for project title or iMovie library?

But again, without being able to do anything, you should just chill out, have some whiskey and kill it at work... which is where I reckon you are.
Also, for peace of mind, nothing is ever truly lost unless you do a 35-pass through delete... and even then some punk in Delaware can get it back probably. :)

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. So nothing showed up when i connected it to the external. I was able to find the files on the external drive, but I do not find an event or project that I can open easily that restores to the last point of the project where i was last night.
Under the project file name, it has "current version.imovieevent" but that opens a screen with nothing but programming language.

Could I simply restore from my last backup last night, again, made after I finished working with the project?

Next question is I see nowhere is iMovie to "save" project. I never have (had to save) to my recollection. But I definitely still am puzzled as to how nothing continues to show up in iMovie regarding any events.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try opening the file you found using iMovie... I'm assuming of course you are double clicking it. I'm driving right now so I can't give you exact instructions but I'm guessing file --> open or something like that in iMovie.

You said you found the one on Lacie but did you check your main HDD in the location I indicated?

Also, restart your computer why not? Maybe that's all you gotta do. Probably not but it's worth a shot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did check my HDD. I just checked package contents first, the only thing that shows up from the iMovie Library is a single folder with today's date...which also appeared today under Events, when I opened iMovie today, even though I did nothing new in it.

I found a folder earlier with the title of the Project (since I returned home). But it does not show up on the Lacie drive. I find all my projects but that one...

I have tried restarting earlier today. I will try one more but earlier today made no change.

I even opened time Machine and I don't see the file or folder in there at the time of the last backup last night JUST after I finished working with it...which is very puzzling also.

Update. I found it. It was stuffed in imovielibrary1 on the lacie. problem solved! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you worked it out! Still strange how that happened to begin with but as long as you found it, I'm ok with the mystery. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.