Importing photos from an external hard drive (Picasa-Windows) to iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A few more details would help.

Assuming you just have a folder structure with photos in on your external?

You could just carry on using Picasa, there's a Mac version.

Or are you wanting to do something else?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,
The external drive has folders with photos, iTunes and other assorted files. I suppose the easiest way would be to download Picasa for Mac and import just the photos. Just need advice on the import (how). Also would the photos be organized as they were in Picasa (Windows7), 'specially by date? Further, would iPhoto be the way to go since I will be using the Mac for years to come. Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just copy the folders to your Mac. Drop the folders into Pictures on your Mac. Open picasa and have it monitor your folders (like it did on the PC). Job done. Exactly the same as on PC.

Others will have to give you the positive of iPhoto. I dislike it with a passion. I really don't like having my photos locked up in a bespoke library. But to each their own.

If you do go down the iPhoto route jst open it, File - add folder to library and point it at your photos

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.