iphone using 3G while connected to wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
My daughter has a new iPhone 5C with a monthly cap on her data usage.

However every month she gets near her download limit. I initially thought this was just down to her looking at youtube, etc while out with friends.

But this last month she has only used her phone while at home and connected to our home wifi - the wifi indicator is showing on the screen and the 3G symbol is off. Despite this she has still got a message warning she is near her limit.

I have an iPhone 5 (with an unlimited data plan) and our settings are absolutely identical. But whereas she is using her 3G data limit up, I am using next to nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening?

Thanks, Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak to how your carrier determines data usage, but on my 5c there is a setting that turns off cellular usage. I believe if she does not turn that off, even though she's only using WiFi, the phone will continue to try making contact with cellular towers and therefore use data. I leave mine on because like you I don't worry about data usage on my iPhone or iPad.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks chscag

i've done that now but find it strange that with my cellular usage enabled at all times my data usage remains stagnant - oh well!

C

chas_m

Yes. Just having cellular on would not, in and of itself, use any appreciable amount of data.

Check the usage of data record on the iPhone itself, see if it bears any resemblance to what the phone company says you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.