Extend Wireless Coverage with multiple AirPort Extreme Base Stations

Reaction score
I am trying to accomplish 2 task with my new AirPort Extreme base Stations.

Task #1. The lower level of my house is where my cable modem is located. The cable modem does not have any wireless ability. I want to create a wireless network with AirPort Base Station #1 so my 3 Mac Book Pro's can access the internet without being wired.

Task #2 . I want to extend the wireless network from AirPort Base Station #1 around the main level of my house with AirPort Base Station #2. However, I can not make a wired ethernet connection between the 2 base stations I need to have the communication between base stations wireless. Is this possible?

OP
K
Reaction score
This problem is solved.... The 802.11ac. AirPort express will setup perfectly with just a few mouse clicks. I must have gone through the setup wizard too quickly the first time. This is what I did.

Airport #1 ->. (Keep AirPort #2 off) Connect Ethernet WAN port to switch port on cable modem. During set up wizard made sure to select 'Create New Network'. Move through rest of setup wizard excepting defaults. Once setup wizard was complete internet access on lower level was possible. The only changes I made was to the IP address I changed it from DHCP to static.

AirPort #2->. Set AirPort #2 on main level where I wanted it. Nod plugged it in. As soon as it was discovered by the AirPort Utility on my MAC the setup wizard indicated it would set it up to 'wirelessly Extend' the network from AirPort #1. I selected next to complete the setup wizard and done. Again the only change I made was to set the IP address to static .

The coverage in both areas of the house is great the devices are now staying with the 5 ghz connection with data rates around 720m which is acceptable. Video streaming from the hard drives connected to each AirPort is also much better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.