Hole in display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
I have a rMBP which has a current display setting of "Best For Display". A couple of days ago the display starting showing a rectangular "hole" in the photo displayed as the background. This "hole" remains at the same place as the background slide-show changes photos.

I can eliminate the "hole" by going to the Display setting, changing the setting to something else (hence causing a re-write of the screen) and then setting it back, however when an app open the "hole" usually reappears immediately, sometimes a bit later. If I leave it set at another resolution setting the "hole" vanishes and I have not yet seen it reappear but, when I switch back to "Best For Display" the "hole" reappears.

I have not been able to figure out what is wrong or how to fix it. Has anyone seen anything like this? I can leave the setting on a resolution different from "Best For Display" but would rather not. The higher resolutions are a bit difficult for me to see small print and the lower resolutions make the items too large on the screen.

The laptop is still under warranty (thank you Apple for AppleCare) and I can take it in for diagnosis but that means a half day driving to the Apple Store, waiting for them to look at it and then returning. If there is a simple solution I would prefer that.

HoleInDisplay.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't mention rebooting the computer…have you rebooted the computer during this process?

Also…you can try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM:

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That "hole in the display" as you're calling it, looks to be too even and squared off to be a defect in the LCD itself. Also, normally "best for display" sets the viewing to the native resolution of the LCD. Retina displays are crammed packed with more pixels than a regular display which is why they look as good as they do.

If you've followed Nick's recommendations and still have the same problem, it's time to make that long drive to the Apple store. Assuming you're living in Mesa, you'll probably need to drive on in to Phoenix unless there's a store closer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
You didn't mention rebooting the computer…have you rebooted the computer during this process?

Also…you can try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM:

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Nick
I shut the computer down completely every night and, since this problem has been going on for about a week, it has been rebooted at least 7 times during that period. In addition when I first saw this problem I rebooted so the machine has been booted or rebooted at least 8 times but it has had no affect.

After a boot the screen displays properly but, after running some software that opens windows the problem recurs.

I will look into the PRAM/NVRAM as I know nothing about them. Thanks for the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.