anyone know about pages 5.2.2 and page numbering

Reaction score
I converted a file from Pages 9 to Pages 5.5.2 and when I did so, the page numbers are now on the lower right hand corner, but are cut off. I see no way to click them to delete them and put elsewhere or to move to make them fully visible. Is there a way to do this? They are not within the editable area of the document. Very strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if this will work with a converted Pages 9 document to a Pages 5.2.2 document:

Open the document, place your cursor on the lower area of the document where page numbering and footers are found. You should then see "Insert Page Number" appear. Click on that and then select "1". Save it. Check to see if the page number moved to the center from the lower right corner. If it didn't, go back using the same method and remove the page number. That should also remove the page number from the right corner.

Just a bit of advice.... You should also have the iWork 9 apps in a separate folder on your machine. Any documents that you created with Pages 09, you probably should not convert them but continue to edit them with Pages 09. Any new documents can be created and edited with Pages 5.2.2.

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't know if this will work with a converted Pages 9 document to a Pages 5.2.2 document:

Open the document, place your cursor on the lower area of the document where page numbering and footers are found. You should then see "Insert Page Number" appear. Click on that and then select "1". Save it. Check to see if the page number moved to the center from the lower right corner. If it didn't, go back using the same method and remove the page number. That should also remove the page number from the right corner.

Just a bit of advice.... You should also have the iWork 9 apps in a separate folder on your machine. Any documents that you created with Pages 09, you probably should not convert them but continue to edit them with Pages 09. Any new documents can be created and edited with Pages 5.2.2.

Thanks. When I do that, it does create new page numbers in the footer, but the ones that were there are still there - outside the editable areas and partially hidden.

Yes, I will never edit a doc in the new format if from the old style again. Really frustrated with the new iWork stuff. Did a lot of work on the old ones, and they have really dumber the new ones down. Very disappointed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, sorry it didn't work. The only other thing that I know which will definitely work is a kludge. The kludge is to open the document, press cmd A, cmd C, and then open TextEdit. Press cmd V in TextEdit. That will copy the document but lose all the formatting. But that gets rid of unwanted page numbers, footers, headers, etc. Afterward, copy back to Pages 5.2.2. Like I said, a real kludge. I've had to do that with some stubborn documents.

OP
E
Reaction score
That's an idea. I'll see how much work it would be to redo my edits in the original doc versus doing your kludge idea.

Thanks for the suggestions - they are much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.