Screen sharing or Remote desktop to Mac across the country

Reaction score
Hi;
I'm looking for a method to support my mom's Mac remotely. I'd like to use Screen Sharing or Apple Remote Desktop. I'm not quite sure how to set thing up to actually make the connection. Screen Sharing is enabled on both computers.

How do I make the connection so as to view the remote machine?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
So this isn't what you are asking for but there are two solutions I will present to you that I think are significantly easier than the methods you are asking about:

1) Chrome Remote Desktop - simply install the extension on both machines and then authorize. You can remote in directly from Chrome (it's an app on the chrome store)
Link to Remote Desktop: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...esktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en
Link to Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

2) TeamViewer - its free, easy as pie and works exceptionally well.
Link to TeamViewer: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Of these two, I use Chrome more because of how insanely simple it is once you get it going and doesn't require another program to be open or anything... again, it works directly from Chrome. The other solutions are generally difficult to get set up... once you get them set up, they are great but getting there has always been a pain in the *** I've found. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I will definitely keep those ideas in mind - I did not know about the Chrome one.

Mom's in her later 80's, and 2500 miles away. I'm really hoping to avoid all additional software installs and the learning curve for her.

I may just go ahead and install Apple Remote Desktop since I know that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally understand avoiding installs and all that nonsense. To that, I think your best bet is TeamViewer. She does need to install TeamViewer for obvious reasons but that compared to her having to mess with the settings on Apple Remote Desktop for you to Remote in...

I've given up trying to get Apple Remote Desktop going on all my machines. I often use Microsoft's version though... it seems much more intuitive and easy to set up.

If I may ask, how would you go about setting up Apple Remote Desktop and getting on your mother's machine?

OP
T
Reaction score
For ARD I'd need to remote in with Join.me or similar one last time and install it. I want something that requires no action on her part except perhaps to email and say she needs help.

Team Viewer might be a possibility, though I loathe the idea of subscriptions for software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TeamViewer is free for personal use. :)
No subscription required my friend.

OP
T
Reaction score
Every time I've tried using Team Viewer I'm nagged repeatedly to buy the software, even though I am using it in a private environment.

That said, this is way out of scope of the original question of how to set up the screen sharing for use - I'd of course prefer to use Apple's included functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough... That's a gross exaggeration though. It does a pop-up when you log off of the session. Hardly intrusive, let alone to the point of being "nagged repeatedly".

So to digress, in my experience, the only way to get ARD to work is by turning on "Remote Management" not just the screen sharing function. Also, "way out of scope"... wrong. This is screen sharing for use... by way of TeamViewer. I'm sorry I can't help more with ARD but I saw no one had responded so I thought I'd try and help you out. Apologies. Good luck.

OP
T
Reaction score
My experience was quite different with Team Viewer. Not sure why. Other than the messages it seemed OK. I wonder if maybe it was another app posing as Team Viewer. I just know when the messages said I had to purchase I just uninstalled it and moved on. <shrug>

By "Screen Sharing" I'm specifically referring to the built-in Apple "screensharing". There doesn't seem to be any documentation for cases other than for a local network. Which is why I asked here.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I have used TeamViewer for years and am very happy with it. I can even use my phone to access other machines (PCs and macs)
Never had a popup so not sure whats happening there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.