Little Snitch

Reaction score
I'd really like some opinions on Little Snitch.I recently updated to the latest version,I used to use it a couple of years ago and found I qualified for the latest version for free so decided i might as well upgrade.But reading several different posts in the forums there seem to be differing opinions on it.One actually said it was causing the problems listed by the person asking for help and they were told to immediately uninstall it.But another questioner was advised that it was a useful program and they should get it! so has anyone real experience of it and is it useful or dangerous like MacKeeper?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have any reason to use Little Snitch? If not, there's no reason to use it other than to foster a sense of paranoia and a false sense of security.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks,you have said just what I had a vague feeling was probably the truth.Think I will uninstall,I'm certainly not paranoid! One reason I came over to macs was no need for worrying about viruses (and the endless security updates necessary to keep them away)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Do you have any reason to use Little Snitch? If not, there's no reason to use it other than to foster a sense of paranoia and a false sense of security.

Actually, I have found it quite useful, especially back when I was on a data capped satellite. It allowed for the easy detection - and blocking - of large apps that were told not to auto update, but would do so anyway. One runaway update like Xcode, or Libraoffice, and your surfing day is over as the service chops you off.

And more recently, it helped discover that my massive download on occasion was the runaway ocspd process bug in Mountain Lion.

And it can help add to your hosts file as you find ad-server links that consider your bandwidth to be theirs also.

And so on. Otherwise, if you have a reason to wonder what is coming in and going out, watching the blinking light on the router doesn't give much information. Of course, using Netstat and the like will do the same thing, but that is a career itself. I find it much easier, when wondering what is slowing down the 'net, to look up and see that a Google Webprocess is dumping a ton of junk in my direction.

Usually, on a new machine or a reload, it is the first app that I install. Not necessarily for security, but just to know what the heck is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not keen on Little Snitch personally. Wise precautions are safe browsing practices and strong passwords not disclosed to anyone. Apple issues its fair share of Security Updates.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I need to try little Snitch again just for kicks and to see how much it has changed. My issue with it was that some of the messages about outgoing traffic were rather cryptic. They weren't always easy to decipher and determine which app/process wanted to send data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.