Time Machine Backup Question

Reaction score
So I want to preface this post with saying I am about 8 months deep into using OS X and I know just enough to be dangerous.

I am getting really excited about the upcoming Yosemite release and I would like to set my Time Machine backup to just backup the personal user files (documents, pictures, video, music, etc.) I believe I have managed to do this by excluding most everything else in Time Machine Preferences.

I found this article on osxdaily.com (How to Clean Install OS X Mavericks | OSXDaily) about doing a clean install and I have successfully created a bootable USB drive to perform this task. I downloaded and used a copy of Mavericks to test this process again in preparation for Yosemite.

My question is around restoring the Time Machine Backup. What I would like to be able to do is do the clean install and select the time machine backup in the restore process to restore from. I wondering if this will still be possible since I have only files in the user directory selected?

Again, I have been a Windows user for many years taking similar action when I rebuilt machines for new and updated versions of the OS. I know I will have to go through the process of setting up accounts and installing applications again. Is all of that worth it or am I using Time Machine/OS X in the incorrect way? Again my goal is to get a clean install across the board and just preserve system files.

My side note it that I also use CrashPlan as a backup as well so I don't have a single point of failure.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So I want to preface this post with saying I am about 8 months deep into using OS X and I know just enough to be dangerous.

I am getting really excited about the upcoming Yosemite release and I would like to set my Time Machine backup to just backup the personal user files (documents, pictures, video, music, etc.) I believe I have managed to do this by excluding most everything else in Time Machine Preferences.

I found this article on osxdaily.com (How to Clean Install OS X Mavericks | OSXDaily) about doing a clean install and I have successfully created a bootable USB drive to perform this task. I downloaded and used a copy of Mavericks to test this process again in preparation for Yosemite.

My question is around restoring the Time Machine Backup. What I would like to be able to do is do the clean install and select the time machine backup in the restore process to restore from. I wondering if this will still be possible since I have only files in the user directory selected?

Again, I have been a Windows user for many years taking similar action when I rebuilt machines for new and updated versions of the OS. I know I will have to go through the process of setting up accounts and installing applications again. Is all of that worth it or am I using Time Machine/OS X in the incorrect way? Again my goal is to get a clean install across the board and just preserve system files.

My side note it that I also use CrashPlan as a backup as well so I don't have a single point of failure.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

You didn't need to go to the trouble of knocking out backup areas to be honest (in fact, safer not to in case you miss backing something up). But that aside, once you have done a clean install of OSX the restore back from Time Machine lets you select what you restore back at that point. It doesn't just do everything automatically unless you leave everything selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Personally I always do a clean install of all operating systems, with the last three making a bootable USB thumb drive prior to running the Installer, and then using Migration Assistant to back up from cloned external hard drive.

Am using Yosemite Beta 2 at the moment, and will follow usual procedure of burningto a thumb drive when it is released and doing the clean install. This clean install does seem to benefit MacBook and Pros in particular.

My preferred backup is SuperDuper cloning software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.