Networking pc and mac at LAN speeds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" bmb, coreduo,2gb,80gb
ok heres going to be a lengthy question and some other questions:

I have 5 laptops (one mac) on wireless(802.11b i need to upgrade) with 2 desktops wired. When I plug an ethernet cord into my mac and transfer files, itll go 8mb/s+. Over wireless max it will go is 200kb/s. I'm fimiliar with networking but not the greatest. Is there a way I can get the wireless connection to transfer at LAN speeds, like buy a switch? Also is there a way to network wired and wireless shared drives?

Also not sure if this is possible but I thought I would try and ask anyway:

Has anyone seen the show 24? How when someone found something they say put it to my screen. Is there a way to do that? For example, If im upstairs and my mom is downstairs, is there a way I can "put it to her screen"? or eaisly move a website etc?

K

Kokopelli

Is there a way I can get the wireless connection to transfer at LAN speeds, like buy a switch?

Two things:

1) 802.11G is your friend. But before you upgrade you WAP make sure <b>all</b> your wireless clients are 802.11G else you are basically wasting money.

2) Wireless is shared bandwidth. In your case your wireless connections are sharing 11 Mbps whereas your wired clients have 100 Mbps each with less overhead. Even with 802.11G a wired connection will get spanked by a wired connection, especially with 5 machines on the wireless.

Also is there a way to network wired and wireless shared drives?

yes, but it is beyond what I can put in a single post. I assume the rest of the machines are Windows? If so, well regardless, can you let us know the verrion of what OS you wan to share drives from?

Has anyone seen the show 24? How when someone found something they say put it to my screen. Is there a way to do that? For example, If im upstairs and my mom is downstairs, is there a way I can "put it to her screen"? or eaisly move a website etc?

I know 24 but have not seen many episodes. I have no idea what you are asking for though, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with 1GB ram
Not so hot on networking sorry but as for.....

Ezekel said:

I think im correct in saying that you mean, say youve got a webpage showing on your comp, you wanna transfer whats on your screen to another comp on a network, eg your mothers ?

That right, if so. No idea lol. Sorry, sounds a good idea. But you can kind of do this by using remote access.

Andy

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" bmb, coreduo,2gb,80gb
thanks for the response: ya currently all the other machines that are wireless are B, but with the current prices of network gear, rebates etc it wouldn't be to much of an expense.

all the machines are running XP pro

I know a wired to wired will always be the best to transfer via LAN by going to G would their be a significant increase in transfer speed?

I'll try and put the last part of my babble into lamen terms:

station A has a document, Guy A says "hey I found something" Guy B says ok send it to my station B. Guy A sends over the document and it pops up on station B...that probably didn't help much :D

going2fast: I usually do remote acess to the desktop downstairs if I'm to lazy to walk down the stairs, but trying to explain that to my mom isn't my idea of fun :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with 1GB ram
Ezekel said:
going2fast: I usually do remote acess to the desktop downstairs if I'm to lazy to walk down the stairs, but trying to explain that to my mom isn't my idea of fun :)

haha :yinyang:
I know what your saying now, as for software to do this hummm nothing ive heard of Sorry, but would be helpful.

K

Kokopelli

Well it is idea number 18 for projects I could do but will never finish. ;) Nope, i do not know of anything out there now though.

G will help but you will still be slower than wired. It is hard to say what kind of through put you would get but it would be significantly faster than B (3-4x roughly). The throughput you are listing on the B network seems pretty low though. It might be ou are on the edges of the range as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.