Wifi loses connectivity

Reaction score
Have OSX 10.9.4. iMac loses connectivity after "waking up". Have read that I should remove the Bluetooth in preferences, but I have bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This also happens on my iPad. Never happens on my Windows PC which I still have.

M

MacInWin

On the iMac, System preferences/Power saving, move the slider for "Computer sleep" all the way to the right for "Never" and then set the "Display sleep" for whatever you want. Those settings will keep the CPU running enough to sustain a WiFi connection continuously. There is a "heartbeat" check on WiFi that a sleeping computer doesn't respond to, so the router thinks it's gone away and checks it out. On wakeup, the connection is broken, and what you are seeing is the delay while the iMac renegotiates with the router.

OP
R
Reaction score
There is one called "energy saver" under preferences and I have turned off "put hard disks to sleep when possible". I left "wake for network access" ticked. I also ticked "enable power nap". I will let you know if that works. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
You can set a fixed IP address for each computer and iPad.

OP
R
Reaction score
Tried first suggestion re energy saver and that has not worked. Re 2nd reply....how do I set a fixed IP address for computer and iPad? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For iPad go to Settings - Wifi - on the selected network tap the "I" (information) icon. Jot down the IP address and other network info. Select "static" (currently on DHCP) and enter that same info.

Now each time the iPad connects it will alway know it is using the same (static) address.

The process is similar on the Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Before I do that, I checked and it is a different ip address on my iMac, on my iPad and also a 3rd different one on my wireless printer! They are all on the same router (at home). I don't want to set my iPad to a static address as I use the wifi function on it when I am out of the house, but shouldn't the other two say the same? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, every device must have a unique IP address - don't use the same IP on different devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This setting will only be associated with this wifi. When you go to another wifi it will be DHCP

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pest, but I do not want to make a mistake. When I go to network under preferences on my iMac I go to TCP/IP, right now it is using DHCP and the choices I have under that are using DHCP with manual address or using bootP or manually. Still not sure what I should do and I do not want to ruin my settings totally. Whatever you suggest, I will try tomorrow.

Also, there is: configure IPv6 automatically and my choices are: manually OR link-local only. No idea what all that is.

Thanks once more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use manual and leave IPv6 alone.

Nothing you can hurt here as you can always go back to DHCP.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I must be dumber than a bag of rocks....when I choose "manually" up comes IPv4 address which is all 0's. Then a subnet mask with some numbers and then my router with numbers which are the same as my iMac...but they do not include the last two numbers on my iMac. Do I just type them in? Also, it says Configure IPv6 - automatically which I presume is what I leave along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do exactly as I described for your iPad. Jot down the existing settings and enter them in for the static IP.

OP
R
Reaction score
ok, I will phone Apple technicians tomorrow and have them walk me through this. The settings under energy saver are not like on my iPad. I explained above what I get when I change the tcp/ip to "manually".

OP
R
Reaction score
Apple technicians had me remove and redo my wifi connection and now it works. They said that setting it to "static" would NOT have fixed my problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.