The Mac Firewall, would you use it?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I recently got a urgent message from a new "switcher" who had just discovered to her horror that her firewall was off on her new MBP. I reassured her that this is normal but it made me think. Under what circumstances would I want to turn it on? I cant think of any, can you?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Under what circumstances would I want to turn it on? I cant think of any, can you?

You would want to use it primarily when you are out in public...signing into publically available WiFi networks.

Folks will say that when you are at home (on your home network) having the Apple firewall on is unecessary (since the home network should be password protected...as well as contain its own firewall).

Call me "weird"...I have the Apple firewall on all the time.;) I haven't encountered any negative aspects to this...and it saves me from having to remember to turn it on & off depending if I'm at home...or away from home.:)

Here's a slightly older article (2012) regarding firewall's:

Everything You Need to Know About Using a Firewall | Mac|Life

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I have the firewall on my MacBook Pro turned on but off on My iMac.
The logic is that my IMac is behind my routers firewall but my MacBook, being mobile may not be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
People often think that firewalls protect them from the outside world. Which is what any off the shelf home router will do. It only allows data in that was requested by an internal source. However most programs these days call home for updates and god knows what else. Since these requests originate from an internal source they are allowed by home routers. In an extreme example, it's how viruses send personal data back to their originator.

I have both the Apple firewall on as well as Little Snitch for alerting me when outbound connections are being requested and by what. This allows me to allow or deny the communication. The Apple firewall is not as handy but does allow you to block outbound traffic of processes, just not as granular and not as user friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have both the Apple firewall on as well as Little Snitch for alerting me when outbound connections are being requested and by what. This allows me to allow or deny the communication. The Apple firewall is not as handy but does allow you to block outbound traffic of processes, just not as granular and not as user friendly.

Hi MacsWork - is Little Snitch an app or a browser add-on? Have you had any problems w/ the program? Thanks for any information - Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Little Snitch is an application. I used it briefly several years ago. At the time I found some of the messages rather cryptic in terms of knowing what was making the request. It looks like they may have addressed this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple's default is off and that is how I would leave it using from a home environment, wifi hotspots in public definitely activate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Little Snitch is an application. I used it briefly several years ago. At the time I found some of the messages rather cryptic in terms of knowing what was making the request. It looks like they may have addressed this issue.

Hi Sly.... - so, I assume you no longer are using the app? Does not seem to be in the App Store, so I guess not 'officially approved' by Apple although that is true of a number of excellent apps recommended on the forum. Also, the buy priced is 30 Euros (about $40) - ouch! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Since you are sort of hijacking a thread I'll be brief.

The application is very stable. One reason it might not be in the App Store would be the policies for Apps the Apple has control of, not to mention the 30% cut Apple gets.

There may to much info for the average user but that does not mean it's not good info. You'd be surprised at how many websites have requests to domains that are ad trackers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Older versions of Little Snitch are free. It's only the newly developed version that costs $29.95. You can still find the older version available for download.

Also, the safest way to use public WiFi (Starbucks, Hotel, Motel, etc) is to use a Virtual Private Network. (VPN) The Apple firewall or the many Windows firewalls do not offer enough protection from sniffers and hackers while using public WiFi.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Older versions of Little Snitch are free. It's only the newly developed version that costs $29.95. You can still find the older version available for download.

Also, the safest way to use public WiFi (Starbucks, Hotel, Motel, etc) is to use a Virtual Private Network. (VPN) The Apple firewall or the many Windows firewalls do not offer enough protection from sniffers and hackers while using public WiFi.

With you there, I use a VPN pretty much all the time even at home (Indonesia) due to the, dare I say, shonky nature of ISP's and the network here.
I used to use Little Snitch in Australia but stopped when the version I had became incompatible with Mavericks so I'm not sure if the older free versions would still be useable with 10.9.:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.