Partitioned Memory

Reaction score
Hello! A year ago I partitioned my MacBook Pro so it could run Mac and Linux. I set it up so 350gb were on each system. I no longer use Linux, and have it removed, it says what use to be Linux is now free space. I was wondering if it was possible to get that 350gb back on the Mac operating system. Any help would be great!

Reaction score
yes you can but if you do a warning if you decide to use boot camp again you need to reinstall your operating system because when you remove a partition to restore it back to the mac it causes boot camp assistant to not be able to create a new partition without formatting and restarting the whole o.s. but here is how you do it

from finder select the go menu and select utilities

now select the disk utility located in utilities once brought up select your hard drive

then select partition then select the second partition you had for linux and select the minus key.

this removes the partition and restores the space back to mac os x

however each experience is different with this method so backup before you try

OP
J
Reaction score
I believe I have done that... It says it is just free space at the moment, and it won't let me drag the Macintosh over the free space.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wanted to mention something regarding terminology.

Memory = Ram
Storage Media (HD or SSD) = Storage Space

Tread title says "memory"...and we are talking about storage space (not ram).:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Nick, sorry for the misuse of terminology. In the partition section I have Macintosh HD, disk0s4 (Linux Swap) which cannot be modified, and then 350GB of free space. I will not let me drag the Macintosh down onto/over the free space. I am hoping that is clear, because this can all get confusing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
I know computers.. who needs them anyways ;)

All of these steps are simple, and make sense, I have complete all the steps, but when I go to drag down the Macintosh HD.... It doesn't do anything. Do I need to reboot to factory settings or am I just missing something?

Thanks,
Justin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...or am I just missing something?

Are you absolutely sure you are following steps 3 & 4 in the 2nd link I posted...to the letter??

Unless you have something special going on...I think something is being missed.;) But of course I can't see what you see.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I am 100% positive I did everything that it ask me too! It seems to difficult to send screenshots, I have already tried that. I just don't know what else to do!

Thanks for all the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe there's a "trick" to it...and someone else will chime-in with it!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick, sorry for the misuse of terminology. In the partition section I have Macintosh HD, disk0s4 (Linux Swap) which cannot be modified, and then 350GB of free space. I will not let me drag the Macintosh down onto/over the free space. I am hoping that is clear, because this can all get confusing.

You can not drag the Macintosh HD partition line to fill because the Linux swap space is in the way. We warn folks about putting Linux on their Macs using dual boot because it causes many problems when removing. You didn't need to create the Linux swap file in the first place.

Too late now. Backup everything first, remove the Linux swap partition, then erase the drive. Make sure the drive is a single partition and then reinstall OS X. Recover your data from backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.