Opinions wanted re backup options for large RAID array

Reaction score
There may be no "right" answer to this, but I am interested in any opinions.

I have an 8-bay hardware RAID box with eight 3TB NAS drives in it. I also have a second 8-bay box that isn't being used at the moment. I'm trying to decide the best way to setup a large storage array that is both fast and secure. Currently it is setup as an 18TB RAID 50 array. However, the "catalog" has gone corrupt and OSX will now only read from it (can't write or delete). I have tried disk utility as well as several of the other top utilities, and none are able to rebuild it. Thus, I guess I have to copy everything off of it, format it, and copy everything back on.

Since I have to go through all this hassle anyways, I'm pondering other options. Even RAID 1 would not have helped me in this case, as there is nothing wrong with the drives themselves. Just corrupted data. This is making me wonder if I should just set it up as RAID 0, then use Time Machine or other software and mirror it to the other 8-bay box. If anything goes wrong with the first one, including data corruption, I've got it all on the other one. I could go with RAID 5 on both boxes, to make it easier to deal with single drive failures. Would the backup software just end up creating the same corruption on the 2nd array?

What are your thoughts/ideas/suggestions about this? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.