DOcking Station for MBAir?

Reaction score
What I cannot determine from what I am seeing on various sites is whether the available docking stations allow me to just put the computer in/take it out without having to plug or unplug any wires, such as mouse, external drives, monitor, Wacom tablet, power supply. I plan to use a wireless keyboard, so the KB not an issue.

I suppose one way is to use a USB Hub, but that would till require me to unplug the hub from the MBA, unplug the Monitor from the MBA and unplug the pwer cord. Want a One Stop Experience!

Thanks

Reaction score
i can answer this.

does your macbook air have firewire and thunderbolt.

the reason i ask is most of the external cages you see are designed for thunderbolt and firewire enabled devices i would honestly make your own its cheaper let me explain what to do its simple.

here is how to build a better one.

here is what you need.

1. a thunderbolt to hdmi cable

2. a wireless keyboard

3. a wireless mouse

4. a 24inch to 32 inch tv with hdmi

5. a usb hub

6. external drives of your choice done

thats it

the docks are expensive and will run you a lot of cash the cheapest striped down model i recently viewed was 500.00 and it contained no hard drive no cages for the hard drives it was pretty worthless

OP
L
Reaction score
i can answer this.

does your macbook air have firewire and thunderbolt.

the reason i ask is most of the external cages you see are designed for thunderbolt and firewire enabled devices i would honestly make your own its cheaper let me explain what to do its simple.

here is how to build a better one.

here is what you need.

1. a thunderbolt to hdmi cable

2. a wireless keyboard

3. a wireless mouse

4. a 24inch to 32 inch tv with hdmi

5. a usb hub

6. external drives of your choice done

thats it

the docks are expensive and will run you a lot of cash the cheapest striped down model i recently viewed was 500.00 and it contained no hard drive no cages for the hard drives it was pretty worthless

Thanks for that advice, BUT, I think this defeats my purpose because I still have to plug/unplug the monitor (or TV), plug/unplug the USB Hub, plug/unplug the backup ED that uses firewire, and plug/unplug the power cord.
I'm really looking for a One Shot Deal, and am limited in desk space, so looking for a compact design as well - preferably able to stand the MBA up & keep it closed to save desk space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.