Digital/Analog audio output on Intel Mac Mini?

F

firas

Hi all. I really wanna buy a new Intel Mac Mini to try out the Mac OS (X) to see if I can ditch WinXP at least at home. I'm curious about the audio output though on the Mac Mini. I have a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 surround sound speaker system which I would really like to use with my Mac Mini to be. The problem is that the speakers only accept analog inputs (3 of them), whereas the new Mac Mini has a "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)". Anyone know if Surround Sound will work with the Mac Mini and how to go about it?

Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
firas said:
Hi all. I really wanna buy a new Intel Mac Mini to try out the Mac OS (X) to see if I can ditch WinXP at least at home. I'm curious about the audio output though on the Mac Mini. I have a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 surround sound speaker system which I would really like to use with my Mac Mini to be. The problem is that the speakers only accept analog inputs (3 of them), whereas the new Mac Mini has a "Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)". Anyone know if Surround Sound will work with the Mac Mini and how to go about it?

Much appreciated.

The Intel Mini can output audio in two ways:

1. Analog, via a 3.5mm minijack connector (stereo)
2. Digital, via an optical digital audio connector

If you use analog, there's no way you can get real surround-sound output. Digital output might offer some hope, but you will need some kind of adapter. Nothing comes to mind other than a dedicated receiver. Assuming you could find an appropriate receiver, then you would be able to hook your Mac Mini into it digitally and output to your speakers. The receiver would need an optical digital audio input jack (TOSlink) and non-powered 6-channel output. You would need three stereo RCA-to-minijack adapters to plug into the three analog inputs on your speakers, assuming they are stereo minijack inputs. That is an expensive option; you might as well go with a new set of speakers that already has optical input like the Logitech z-5500s if you're going to go that route.

As a cheaper alternative, you can do pseudo-surround-sound. Logitech sells a "game adapter" which lets you plug in a stereo input into any 3-wire analog speaker system. It basically takes the red and white stereo plugs and converts them to minijack outputs. You sacrifice one of the inputs on your speaker system and then use the matrix function to upmix the audio. It's not a super great solution but it works, assuming your speakers have a matrix function (blends stereo into surround-sound). You would also need a minijack-to-stereo RCA cable for the Mini.

In summary, your options are:
1. Buy a fancy receiver to connect your speakers to your Mini for real 5.1
2. Find some kind of digital-to-analog adapter box (good luck!)
3. Use a game adapter to get fake 5.1
4. Buy new speakers
5. Don't upgrade

Feel free to ask any questions :)

OP
F

firas

Thanks for the Audio 101 kaidomac! I really appreciate you clarifying the multiple options available. For now the most viable is the Logitech Z-5500 speaker set if I can find 'em here. However I was just curios, would the Panasonic SAXR55 or SAXR70 Digital AV receivers be an option with those minijack-to-RCA adapters? The SAXR55 is only $230 on Amazon whereas the Logitech speakers are $ 247. This would be a nice option since I have an Acer F-20 20" LCD/TV monitor which I plan on connecting both PC and Mac, and maybe a PlayStation to in the future. Although I could do the same the Logitech speakers since they support multiple inputs but they can only take 1 Digital Optical input though.

OP
E

erin_day

Just purchased an Intel mini and Digital out not looking good

OK, I'm a switcher. Just got my Mac Mini for a home theatre system. I've been looking at them for a while but what made the sale now was the Digital Out.
I got a Duo Core Intel Mac Mini and the TOSLink Digital Optical cable. Plugged it into the Optical-In on my Yamaha Home Theatre Setup.

Watching Star Wars Episode III best I seem to be getting is Prologic II through the Yamaha. No Digital, 5.1, definitely not DTS.

I was expecting 5.1. I haven't given up yet but there doesn't seem to be much to configure on the Mac side. I don't think it's the Yamaha as everything else works. My DVD player was plugged in optically before the MAC and it had perfect DTS coming out.

Thoughts anyone?

OP
E

erin_day

Worked it out

Hey - just wanted to update my post in case there are other switchers out there with the same problem.

In order to change the DVD audio output to digital (instead of stereo) you must run the DVD software (under Applications) WITHOUT a DVD in it, otherwise it's greyed out.

When you load it up without a DVD you get the option (under preferences) to change the Audio format to Digital.

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across this helpfull url when looking up the sound on the mac mini. I just bought the mac mini and thought I could hook it up to the TV just like my AppleTV with the HDMI cable and have great sound! I was shocked when there was no sound after pluggin in the HDMI cable!!! Went on the net and again was suprised to see this was a common problem with all who purchased the mac mini! Wh=ith advice on the forums I plugged an anolog 1/4" jack from the back of the mac mini and into my TV Amp but the sound wasn't good! Then reading further on the mini specs I come across the "optical out" didn't get the lead yet but I sure hope this isn't dissapointing!

Here's one helpfull link I came across...
Mike Rowehl: This is Mobility » Blog Archive » Mac Mini Digital Optical Output

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.