Question about MacBook Air memory?

Reaction score
A friend has asked me to help her purchase a used MacBook Air. She knows I've never had anything but Macs all the years she's known me and wants to try a Mac, this time around. (I still have every Mac I've ever owned, including the old black and white Mac Classic, which still works just fine.) A MacBook Air, however, is something I've never paid much attention to.

I'm reading what I can about them, but I'm thoroughly confused about flash memory storage. I guess, because I'm not a gamer, I don't understand much of what I'm reading and don't realize the importance of the specs. Would anyone please explain what sort of questions I need to ask the seller (probably Craigslist) about their MacBook Air to determine how much actual memory the laptop has? Do I ask for onboard memory or is it all about flash memory? (My friend's shortcoming is stuffing her current laptops full of all kinds of crud, until it's a log-jam of sludge. She's going to need a good bit of actual memory.) I suppose that is my question: is "flash storage" memory in the MacBook Air comparable to actual onboard memory in another computer, i.e., MacBook Pro, etc.?

Thank you for any effort to educate me. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On an Macbook AIR the Memory (RAM) is soldered to the Logicboard. So have her get an Air with as much RAM as possible as it later can NOT be upgraded.

By Flash Storage you are probably referring to what would be the Hard drive on older systems. All but the very old Airs use what really is like an SSD (Solid State Drive) on a card. Get one with as large a SSD as she would need as except with 3rd party after market solutions like from OWC, normal people can not change or upgrade it as it's not a normal SSD.

I am sure someone else here will tell you even more, but that is the basics.

OP
Izzy-B
Reaction score
Thanks so much; I'm relieved to hear that there is still RAM to be reckoned with and that it is not a "flash memory only" proposition. I did read that the models sold between June 2012 and June 2013 had a sort of "recall" because the flash drives could fail, so I'm trying to be aware of that, when reading the listings. I'll press for RAM specs, bearing in mind that she isn't the sort of person to do her own maintenance so that upgrades wouldn't be an option for her.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks so much; I'm relieved to hear that there is still RAM to be reckoned with and that it is not a "flash memory only" proposition. I did read that the models sold between June 2012 and June 2013 had a sort of "recall" because the flash drives could fail, so I'm trying to be aware of that, when reading the listings. I'll press for RAM specs, bearing in mind that she isn't the sort of person to do her own maintenance so that upgrades wouldn't be an option for her.

Hi Izzy-B - welcome to the forum! :)

First, try to advise about 'where' she should buy a machine - don't want her to get a lemon or one that has damage in which a 'no return' policy or an absent warranty exists - not sure 'how much' $$ can be invested but a Mac laptop refurbished by Apple w/ a warranty might be a consideration.

Second, if you are able to examine the machine (and I assume you know about the Apple in the upper left corner -> About this Mac -> More information), you can obtain the model/year/serial number of the laptop in question - then go to the Every Mac website and find the exact model - ALL of the details will be available - good luck. Dave

OP
Izzy-B
Reaction score
Hi, Dave, and thanks so much!

Unfortunately, she's only willing to invest about $600.00, which doesn't really lend itself to any real bargain, other than perhaps from a seller who really needs the cash. I'll make sure we do what you said: check out the serial/model and go the Every Mac. (I do like that site; I've used it to research my own machines before tearing into them to replace parts.) :)

There are a couple of Apple Stores nearby and a few Mac repair guys, so I'll start there, first, and maybe steer her away from Craigslist. (Not that I haven't gotten some good deals from there, but I agree with what you said about refurbs.)

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and maybe steer her away from Craigslist. (Not that I haven't gotten some good deals from there...

I would not steer anyone away from Craig's List…as long as they knew what to look for in a used computer (which is mostly just making sure everything works). As you mentioned…you've gotten some good deals via CL.:)

Also…with only $600 to spend. CL is the best place to get the most for the money. You'll get less computer on eBay…and certainly won't get anything for $600 via the Apple Store (MacBook Air's)…new or refurbished.

- Nick

OP
Izzy-B
Reaction score
I would not steer anyone away from Craig's List…as long as they knew what to look for in a used computer (which is mostly just making sure everything works). As you mentioned…you've gotten some good deals via CL.:)

Also…with only $600 to spend. CL is the best place to get the most for the money. You'll get less computer on eBay…and certainly won't get anything for $600 via the Apple Store (MacBook Air's)…new or refurbished.

- Nick

Actually, Craigslist is where I met a couple of Mac repair guys who were selling refurbs so, after the dust settled in what's left of my head (I've been wrestling with PHP all day) I have to admit, you're right. Craigslist is probably the best bang for the money, as long as we kick the tires and read the fine print. ;)

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Craigslist is probably the best bang for the money, as long as we kick the tires and read the fine print. ;)

Exactly!:) Just got to do a good "once-over" to make sure everything works as it should.

Sometimes (if you're very lucky) you can buy something via CL that still has Applecare remaining.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Don't do that get your machine from amazon theres tons of deals on macbook air computers you can get last years mac book air which will still run mac os x maverick and yosemite which launches this year and you can save yourself some cash and you have a 30 day warranty from amazon if you buy on from craplist be careful a lot of these machines are stolen and you don't want to get arrested for stolen property

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't do that get your machine from amazon theres tons of deals on macbook air computers you can get last years mac book air which will still run mac os x maverick and yosemite which launches this year and you can save yourself some cash and you have a 30 day warranty from amazon if you buy on from craplist be careful a lot of these machines are stolen and you don't want to get arrested for stolen property

MacBook Air's all the way back to the 2008 models can run the latest OS (10.9 Mavericks).

OP's friends budget is $600. I doubt that someone can get a one year old 13" MacBook Air for $600 or less via Amazon.

Purchasing a MacBook Air via Craig's List is the place to get the most "bang for the buck". The VAST majority of computers sold on Craig's List are not stolen.

- Stolen computers can also be sold on eBay.
- Stolen computers can also be sold on Amazon.

* Nick

p.s. Maybe you have had negative experiences with CL...and if so...that is unfortunate. I have had lots & lots of experiences with CL...and the vast majority have been good. Just have to know what you're doing...and what to look for (operationally speaking).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.