itunes - exact copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
I am looking to back up a couple of my music Cds. In particular, Dark Side of The Moon. Most of the songs on this do not have pauses between them, they flow into each other.

If I rip the songs and then burn a copy with iTunes, will it insert pauses?

Do I need Toast to create an exact copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
umm... by default if you rip it into iTunes it will insert two-second pauses. But, you can remove them, or you should be able to... I don't remember how off hand, but snoop around iTunes prefs, you'll find it

K

Kokopelli

Open iTunes, go to preferences, adnvanced => burning => Gap between songs.

If you want an <b>exact</b> copy though yes, you would want to copy from the original using something like toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Select the CD tracks you want to rip, then click the 'advanced' menu and select 'Join CD tracks'.

It will rip everything as 1 track, thereby eliminating any artificially introduced track gaps caused by iTunes playback.

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Thanks - Toast is on my list to purchase...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Aptmunich said:
Select the CD tracks you want to rip, then click the 'advanced' menu and select 'Join CD tracks'.

It will rip everything as 1 track, thereby eliminating any artificially introduced track gaps caused by iTunes playback.

Just learned something. May have to re-import some cd's :headphone

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
I thought of one more question. If I rip the entire disc as "one track" then burn it to a blank, will the blank be a single track? Or will I still be able to advance through the disc track to track?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Jeremy W said:
I thought of one more question. If I rip the entire disc as "one track" then burn it to a blank, will the blank be a single track? Or will I still be able to advance through the disc track to track?

Thanks!

if you join the tracks, it will create one big track, meaning you will have to FF through the cd to find the next song....kina reminds you of a cassette tape, eh?

either use toast and copy it or try burning it after going through your preferences and eliminating the gap between tracks
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.