Word -compatibility issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM
I have a problem reading word documents made in program's pre 2007 . My current program is Word for Mac 2011. How do I overcome Unicode problems

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post moved here to correct forum.

I have a problem reading word documents made in program's pre 2007 . My current program is Word for Mac 2011. How do I overcome Unicode problems

Mac Word 2011 can generally open Word documents even from Word 97 for Windows. What kind of unicode problems are you encountering?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM
Although most of the text is readable section headings and dates are missing and some pages are in reverse order or repeated several times. All the information is there but it would take a long time to get it into the right order.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I get that on occasion when opening old Word documents prior to Word XP for Windows. (version 2002) Some of the older documents will lay out in order with maybe fonts being changed, while others will act as you described above. I can usually sort things out. However, sometimes I have to copy the entire document to TextEdit, make corrections, and then back to Word. With my work I have Word documents archived on disk going back to the 1997 version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.