Opening Pages '09 Documents in Mavericks

Reaction score
I upgraded to Mavericks a few days ago. I have documents that were created in Pages ’09 that will no longer open. When I try to open one, I get the message “The required index.xml file is missing”. This message is in a rectangle with an icon representative of Pages ’09 (the inkwell). Since it had this icon, I’m assuming that I was trying to open it in the ’09 version, which is what I intended to do. Since this didn’t work, I tried to “open with Pages.app (4.0.5)” and got the same message. I’m a little afraid to try to open it in Pages 5, since I’ve heard rumors that this could ruin the document. I’m at a loss, and, like everybody else, I have important documents that I need access to. After I upgraded I had both Pages ’09 and Pages 5 on my dock, instead of one of them being in the applications folder. I have looked briefly at pages 5 and determined that I prefer ’09. They are both still in my dock but I never open Pages 5. I’m using an iMac with 10.9.4. All my documents are in Pages ’09 and I want to open them in Pages ’09. What to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem you're having is that Pages 5 is now the default for opening all Pages documents. You need to change that back to Pages 9. You should still have all your iWork 09 applications in a separate folder.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick response. I can't figure out how to change the default to Pages '09. I DID right click the document and tried to open it in Pages '09 that way but that didn't work. I then clicked on "Info" for that document and selected Pages '09 to open it with and that didn't work either. Like I said, I have a LOT of documents, all created in Pages '09 and some of them open and some of them don't and I don't understand that, either. Oh, well, I've since gathered up all my courage and converted some of my documents to Pages 5 and, SO FAR, everything seems to be OK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That will work. Pages 5 keeps getting small fixes by Apple. Maybe after another update cycle all the features of version 9 will be back in 5.

Reaction score
Can't open docs

Help! I have the same problem and don't know what the Pages 5 and 9 mean! How do I open my docs?

Thanks!

Reaction score
You could have both versions of Pages resident in your dock. Then when you want to open a document, drag the document onto the icon for the version of pages that you want to use.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Pages is apples version of word right? I don't have it in my dock. Would I find it under applications?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's going on with your word processing? First, you told us that you can't open documents with MS Word, now you're saying that you don't know what version of Pages you have. Which application are you using, Word or Pages?

And if Pages is not in your dock, it should be listed in your Applications folder if you have a copy of it.

Reaction score
I guess I never purchased pages because I have Office:mac. What does it mean when I have this symbol beside my start up disc []\?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've lost me here. What do you mean by "startup disk"? I'm assuming you're seeing that symbol next to the icon of your Macintosh HD which is on your desktop?

Reaction score
When I went to about my mac to check my OS version, that's when I saw that symbol next to start up disc. I think this started when I upgraded to Maverick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I understand now. According to your other post, you're running Mavericks OS X 10.9.4. There has recently been an update to 10.9.5. What I suggest doing is to download the combined update from Apple and install it. Let's see if that corrects the problem.

You can download the combined update from here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm not sure there's anything else we can try. The information that's displayed in the "About this Mac" is taken from the firmware. The firmware is something that we have no control over and is usually not updated except on those occasions when Apple needs to correct something. From the looks of it, it's some kind of corruption but if it's not effecting your Mac, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unfortunately that did not work:)

Maybe it would be beneficial to all if you just spent a bit of time and clearly explaining what your actual problem is and what you have and what you're trying to do.

Right now it a confusing mess. :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it would be beneficial to all if you just spent a bit of time and clearly explaining what your actual problem is and what you have and what you're trying to do.

Right now it a confusing mess. :Confused:

He already explained it. Follow the thread. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
He already explained it. Follow the thread. ;)

I read the thread and that's why I posted, and I dare say you seemed a bit confused as well for a bit, and the topic has switched from MS Office to Pages 5 and 9 and now it's onto OS and firmware.

Sounds to me like a captain in a ship at sea in a thick fog without a compass nor map.

Or maybe there isn't any real problem or question now, so by all means carry on... ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently it's still confusing to you. He went on to explain what he meant and we tried to help him through it and what was suggested did not work. Your comments are uncalled for and out of line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.