Safari displays old Google version, why?

Reaction score
Hi, I got an iMac using Safari 5.1.10, recently every time I go to Google it's displaying the old interface (ie when I go to "Images", the images are displayed as the old version with little thumbnails with the info bellow etc...) If I go to Chrome and Firefox it doesn't happen, why? is there anything wrong recently with Google/Safari???
help, thanks.

Reaction score
Hi, I got an iMac using Safari 5.1.10, recently every time I go to Google it's displaying the old interface (ie when I go to "Images", the images are displayed as the old version with little thumbnails with the info bellow etc...) If I go to Chrome and Firefox it doesn't happen, why? is there anything wrong recently with Google/Safari???
help, thanks.

Exactly the same problem here. Normal google search also shows 'old style' results with underlined links too. Hope someone can help us out

Screen shot 2014-08-31 at 00.48.33.png

Screen shot 2014-08-31 at 00.48.16.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe it is tied to the older version of Safari?

Yosemite shows Safari as version 8.

OP
G
Reaction score

Hi Harry, last Safari version is the 5.1.10 and it is updated automatically by Apple Software Update, I got the latest version, released end last year, it worked ok until couple of days ago...strange.

OP
G
Reaction score

Hi Harry, maybe you gave the clue, there is a Safari 7 but you need OSX Mavericks (I'm on Lion at the moment) will update to Mavericks and comment for any news. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am on Yosemite Beta, but was on mavericks prior tot hat and found it to be fast and rock solid. Just check out Mavericks requirements as you have not advised your iMac details.

Reaction score
Hi, are you working on Lion Safari 5.1? if so mabye we should switch to Mavericks...

I'm running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8).

Like you say it's been working fine until just a couple of days ago so I doubt it's anything to do with the OS. I don't really want to go through the whole OS update process just for the sake of Google displaying incorrectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Details pertain to iMac model as early intel iMacs cannot run Mavericks. Up to you but be aware Apple is not releasing any further Security Updates for Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
As mentioned in the article I've now managed to fix it by changing my Safari user agent, tricking Google to think I'm running a newer version.

To do this go to Safari, open preferences > advanced > check the box for "Show develop menu".

In the develop menu go to user agent > Other... > and replace current text with:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/537.78.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.1.6 Safari/537.78.2

Unfortunately this is only a temporary fix as Safari doesn't save the changed user agent and reverts back whenever you close it. But at least now we know it's not a problem with our macs or browsers... Google is doing it deliberately.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.