Extending Network

Reaction score
I have my Timecapsule as my router in the basement, and just added an airport extreme to the First floor office as a wireless extender. It looks as if all my devices are clients of the Airport extreme except one of my two apple tv's(Gen 2 and 3) on the third floor. Trying to figure out why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have my Timecapsule as my router in the basement, and just added an airport extreme to the First floor office as a wireless extender. It looks as if all my devices are clients of the Airport extreme except one of my two apple tv's(Gen 2 and 3) on the third floor. Trying to figure out why?

Hello - first, I do not have a 'wireless extender' on my home network but from my reading (the book below published in 2013 - despite its name - has a clear explanation of the process and a cheap Kindle purchase), the tricky part is for your PCs & other wireless devices to see only one network - your routers are likely broadcasting different networks simultaneously and confusing your devices.

Wish that I could post the section in the book about accomplishing this setup successfully, but maybe this LINK might help. Good luck and let us know your results; hopefully others who have gone through this process will 'chime in' - Dave :)

P.S. I've read many networking books over the years and the title is misleading - this is at least at the intermediate level w/ much good information.

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.07.43 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.