Macbook Air spontaneous re-start

Reaction score
My macbook air (4 months old) suddenly re-starts while I'm doing just routine things. One time I heard the tone of it re-starting while it was supposedly 'asleep' in my backpack. Not sure what to do, various online forums seem to suggest that it's an old problem that Apple has fixed...? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One time I heard the tone of it re-starting while it was supposedly 'asleep' in my backpack

Spontaneous restarts are usually caused by bad memory or overheating. Keeping your MacBook Air in your backpack and putting it to sleep is not a good idea. If the machine wakes up in your backpack and you don't know it, it will heat up very quickly, and that's not good for your MacBook Air. Shut it down completely before carrying it your back pack. A MacBook Air starts up very quickly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick, yes I guess it would be best to take it to the Apple Store.

And thank you for your advice, chscag. The main message I take from your reply is that I should leave the sleeping laptop in my bag for the shortest time possible. Unfortunately the people at my work have set it up in a way that takes a long time to start - it varies (haven't figured why) but I once timed it for 2 minutes.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.