Mail's gone funny.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
My Mail application has started to play up. When I receive new mail and use the 'Apple-Tab' command to change applications, the red rosette appears but is empty instead of showing the number of unread emails I have.

Once in Mail, when there are unread emails, instead of having the red rosette by my Inbox there is a large white circle and the email Headers are now very spaced apart (see attached images).

I've done the usuals with permissions and preferences and there is no change. Any ideas?

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
Quick update, I also use MacUpdate Desktop software which uses the same 'rosette' with a number, again the number is missing. Is this something to do with the UI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, sounds like a ui issue, try restarting the systemuiserver process in activity monitor, it controls and manages the ui.
BTW, what version of os x and mail are you using?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
How would I go about doing this? All I cand find is a button to quit the process, not restart it?

I'm using OSX 10.4.5 and Mail 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
tried the windows fix yet? IE rebooting if not try repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Dalton29 said:
How would I go about doing this? All I cand find is a button to quit the process, not restart it?

I'm using OSX 10.4.5 and Mail 2.0.
its part of the system, so quit it, then it will restart on its own.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
Macman said:
its part of the system, so quit it, then it will restart on its own.

Ok, I've tried that and its still acting up. I've also tried dumping the prefs and reloading Mail through Pacifist with no change.

It actually started doing this when our IP had to change our network around after our outgoing mail became blacklisted. Apparently someone had managed to get into the windoze side of the network and send millions of spam emails through our server that were traced back to us. They also removed our proxy server after it died. All we had to change was the DNS Server address and remove the proxy settings and then my Mail started acting up.

Not sure if this is what has affected my Mac as others on the network are fine or if its just a coincidence.

In addition, I think this is becoming much more of a system problem rather than just Mail as my Address Book is now very spaced out much like the headers in my emails.

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.