Macbook freezes every 3 minutes

Reaction score
My 2010 macbook, OSX10.9.6,froze in grey for 3 days then slowly came back to life, but barely. Whether on or offline, it runs for 1 -3 minutes then freezes for half to 3 minutes, I tried to re -download theOS. No change. Is it dying? Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly...I'm thinking you don't have OS 10.9.6 installed. The latest version is 10.9.4. If you do have 10.9.6 installed...then this could be the problem.;)

Can you describe (give more details) what you mean by "freeze". Are you getting any sort of message on the screen?

Did you make any hardware changes recently...like a ram upgrade?

How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)?

- NIck

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
You are right, 10.4. I have 90 gigs free out of 250. No, i have not downloaded anything recently. Whatever I am using, Skype, Firefox, iphoto,iTunes, etc, stops dead, even Skype freezes the screen. Then the spinning ball comes on, nothing can be done at that point. Then after some time, 30 seconds to 3 minutes, it returns. If watching shows, voice lingers after picture freezes, then stars back up where it left off.If I am able to use the curser, and click a couple other things in frustration, they will eventually pop up when it returns to life.Also Safari, previously my main browser , seems to havehas vanished .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You are right, 10.4.

Actually it's 10.9.4. "10.4" is an older OS version (Tiger).

Thanks for the info. How much ram does your MacBook have?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.