I spilled coffee with creamer on MacBook Pro keyboard last night

Reaction score
I can't believe I DID that and am just sick because I finally could purchase one in June. I of course quickly wiped it down and shook it gently upside down to try and get any other liquid out. I did not turn it off when I went to bed and it is working this morning but I'm sure that is just for now. I am not an expert at taking laptops apart. I know one of the benefits of this model is that there are no moving parts inside, however, I'm sure this is very bad. I would appreciate any suggestions...... Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For starters, turn the machine off and keep it off!

Next, read this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Now the rice trick usually is meant for water, so not sure if it will have the same effect with coffee. You bought this MBP this June? If so it's under AppleCare and you shouldn't do anything to void that. Not sure if visiting iFixit to look at the teardown/repair instructions would constitute a violation. If not, use those instructions to open up the top and clean up as much of the liquid you can with the machine off!

Once you're satisfied that you've cleaned as much as you can, you might want to let it air dry for a bit before putting it back together and seeing how things go.

The problem with liquids and electronics is very much like gambling. You might get lucky and have the liquid cause no damage or have it toast every circuit it comes in touch with warranting a replacement..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response. I will turn it off. Unfortunately, I not only left it on because I was afraid it wouldn't come on again, but I also charged it last night. It's working and all but I can't imagine that it will continue working for long. I think I will cancel my Genius Bar appointment though. I had no idea that Apple
Care will not cover spills. I know it is a super dumb move on my part but I really thought it would be covered. Thank goodness for this forum for all of the amazing help. I appreciate you so much! :)

Reaction score
Power it down, take it to Apple and let them inspect it and clean it, may cost you some money but in the long term, you still have your MAC.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe I'm becoming old and intolerant but I never have a drink on the same surface as my laptop. I gave a talk on Mac user shortcuts last week and one of the people who attended had a glass of water on the table next to his laptop. Sure enough before the talk was over he knocked it over. Fortunately it was nearly empty and did not land on his laptop but.....?
Here is a piece of technology worth $1500+ or thereabouts filled with often irreplaceable information why would you take the chance? And who uses creamer anyway?:Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.