What Kind Of Monitor Stand Would You Suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac 21.5", i5 Processor, OS X Mavericks, 1 TB Hard drive,
I have been recommended to get myself a monitor stand for health reasons, but since I started looking I have seen so many that I am unsure what kind I should go with. I have come across basic looking ones for like £20 and others which are around £100, I would rather spend more if it meant getting a good product, but I cannot really see the difference between them? What kind would you go for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How about a big thick book…or a couple big thick books??:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have been recommended to get myself a monitor stand for health reasons, but since I started looking I have seen so many that I am unsure what kind I should go with. I have come across basic looking ones for like £20 and others which are around £100, I would rather spend more if it meant getting a good product, but I cannot really see the difference between them? What kind would you go for?

How about telling us which Mac this is for? Is it an iMac, Mac Mini (desktop) or MacBook, MacBook Pro? Without that information, we can't really recommend something that would be suitable.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about telling us which Mac this is for? Is it an iMac, Mac Mini (desktop) or MacBook, MacBook Pro? Without that information, we can't really recommend something that would be suitable.

Hahaha, yeah I can see how that may be helpful. Sorry about that. I have the Apple iMac 21.5".

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about a big thick book…or a couple big thick books??:)

- Nick

Considered it actually, but the only books I have are Graphic Novels, and I simply could nit bring myself to do that to them :p Thanks for the out of the box suggestion though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hahaha, yeah I can see how that may be helpful. Sorry about that. I have the Apple iMac 21.5".

I looked around at several sites and found this. Looks like it would work well and it also matches the decor of the iMac. I have a 27" iMac in my home office and have been debating on using a monitor stand but haven't found anything that I like. The site I linked to above looks promising.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked around at several sites and found this. Looks like it would work well and it also matches the decor of the iMac. I have a 27" iMac in my home office and have been debating on using a monitor stand but haven't found anything that I like. The site I linked to above looks promising.

Thanks for the info, that elevation stand looks pretty awesome and the posture thing is kinna why I have been advised to invest in a stand.

I was doing a little hunting around myself yesterday and, like you, I couldn't find one that I liked the look of. I found this site though:

5 Really Cool iMac Stands

Which lists different kinds of stands, and the 4th one down looks decent; though sadly it doesn't tell me where to find one, and it is not sold through the site. I kinna like the look of monitor arms and I have read that because of their range of motion they can be really good for posture and stuff.

You said that you were looking for a stand also, what do you think? I like the look of a monitor arm, but I am concerned for their stability and, whilst I am sure it will not, I am paranoid about it coming loose or something and just face-planting the table. Lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You said that you were looking for a stand also, what do you think? I like the look of a monitor arm, but I am concerned for their stability and, whilst I am sure it will not, I am paranoid about it coming loose or something and just face-planting the table. Lol.

Like you, I don't quite trust the monitor arms I've looked at. There's also the Apple VESA mount which I understand doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. The stand I linked you to above as I said looks promising. However, I'm not inclined to order something sight unseen. A monitor stand like a monitor itself should be looked at in person. Not too many stores sell them. Fry's here in Dallas has some but most are for monitors not all in one desktop computers like the iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like you, I don't quite trust the monitor arms I've looked at. There's also the Apple VESA mount which I understand doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. The stand I linked you to above as I said looks promising. However, I'm not inclined to order something sight unseen. A monitor stand like a monitor itself should be looked at in person. Not too many stores sell them. Fry's here in Dallas has some but most are for monitors not all in one desktop computers like the iMac.

I absolutely know what you mean, and I think that's why I am hesitant about getting one online. I dig the stand that you sent me aesthetically, but like you say, I would rather not order something like that off the internet unless I have been able to see / touch one in person first.

Sadly, whilst you say not too many stores sell them, here in the UK I have not seen any stores that sell them, which is too bad really.

Thanks for your help buddy. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.