External Drives ejecting on their own.

Reaction score
My 2013 Retina M.B.P keep ejecting external drives as well

I'm OSX 10.9.4.

One WD drive is my Time Machine b/up .

The other is LaCie with my iTunes music library.

I have always left them 'permanently' plugged in to my MacBookPro.

I have installed the MOUNTAIN app, but it made no difference . It's Driving me crazy.

Wondering if JETTISON app. some people on the forum talk about is worth trying.

It is sometimes very hard to remount the drives. I have to open Disk Utility and mount them if they are recognized.

Otherwise I can sometimes get them to appear if I restart.

I have repaired permissions and run AppleJack.

Also attached to MBP are Wired keyboard, and Apple 24" Cinema Display, DVD/CD drive and iPhone charger

I'm worried I will loose my music and Time Machine backup due to all the ejecting and restarting causing corruption issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Laurie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a couple of things I would check just to be sure everything is OK:
1. Use Disk Utility to verify the drive and repair it if necessary. I'm talking about the directory repair not permissions repair.
2. Try using a different cable to see if the cables themselves are OK. If necessary try the cables with other devices/drives.
3. Are the ports OK? Do other devices work OK if connected to the ports these drives are currently using?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude,
I've tried Repairing the Drive Directories and it was good on both, though the b/up drive took a LONG time to repair.
Also tried cable and port switching as I originally thought the 3 USB ports on the back of my Monitor may have died but they worked for other devices so I don't think that is causing it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried plugging the drives into the Mac rather than into the monitor? I am wondering about the health of the drive. Even if it shows as OK in Disk Utility there are other programs which test the drive more thoroughly.

OP
P
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging the drives into the Mac rather than into the monitor? I am wondering about the health of the drive. Even if it shows as OK in Disk Utility there are other programs which test the drive more thoroughly.

Thanks again,
I'm also worried about the health of the drives but I've read lots of threads of similar issues lately and it appears it might be a system problem. I did try plugging into the MBP directly but no improvement. Sometimes it works and other times not.
I have TechTools and will run that on the drive(s).

OP
P
Reaction score
Maybe a mains powered hub would be the shot if the bus powered externals are dragging a lot of power:-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1923940

Thanks for the reply,
My hub is a mains powered BELKIN 7 port.
The problem is really inconsistent. Sometimes both external drives mount fine and then one just vanishes.
10 minutes later it will re-appear.
I'm going to buy another Hard Drive and clone my music, just to be safe. I'll try a Seagate this time as I'm having problems with LaCie and WD drives. My hunch is that its more of a USB or system problem than a drive problem.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Reaction score
I have the same problem.. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
I use multiple hard drives, some using the USB 3 ports and external USB hub, others daisy chained via Thunderbolt. ALL seem to eject randomly at different times (I have 4 LaCie drives of various sizes, one Western Digital). All have their own power source.

No idea what's causing the random ejecting of drives, but it's extremely annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.