Back Button in Safari

Reaction score
I have a 2nd question that is the point of frustration.

When I'm on a website and make a post.. even Mac Forums.. I have a problem when going from the page where I make a post.. back to the Forum. I get the pop-up that says:

Are You Sure You Want To Post Again? To reopen this page Safari must resend a form. This might result in duplicate purchases, comments, or other actions.

If I click Continue, in SOME forums the posting will be duplicated. I never had this issue with my PC's and their browsers. Is this a Safari issue? If so, is there a way to make it quit happening? My only way around it is to open a new tab, copy and past the URL I want to make a comment in.. open that new URL and comment.. then shut that URL down and go back to the original forum.

I've commented on this in one of the forums.. and a guy from Australia came back and he said he had Apple everything and doesn't have this problem.

So, the only way I can find to back out of THIS POST is to close Mac Forums and re-open it. it's an argghhh situation :)

HELP.. I hope there is a fix for this.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There is a fix! Use tabs. Open each thread in a new tab, leaving the forum you're in active on the first tab. Close the tab you reply in, and the forum tab will still be there.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yep, i've used that process. but it is a royal PITA. I mentioned that in the OP.

M

MacInWin

What forums do the duplication? I suspect it's more to do with the fact that some URLs are designed for Internet Explorer and don't really follow standards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Mostly brewing forums that use phpBB and bulletin. However, I've had some websites where I pay my bills that say the same thing. However, they don't seem to double post... fortunately.

M

MacInWin

Can't speak for the brewing forums, but at financial sites there are security handshakes that exist for the particular screen, so when you try to go back, the same data is being resent to establish that security link again. I've seen it with my bank and credit union. I have learned not to use the go back function on those sites. It's a PITA, but it's security PITA, so I'll live with it. And it does happen with PCs as well as on the Mac. It has to do with how the URLs are now increasing security to protect sensitive data. (Although other than the recipes on the brewing forums, I can't think of why they would use high security. Maybe it's now built into phpBB?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jake is right. My bank (Wells Fargo) does the same thing. If I try to use the back button or if I stay too long on one financial screen, it will kick me off and I'll have to sign on again with my credentials. It's a security feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I open almost everything with ⌘-click - and am very used to it by now, I actually feel it's an advantage rather than inconvenience ;) Once I'm done with that particular tab, it's closed, and the first one still got the entire forum - great.

Oh, and as far as I can see, it is not Safari-specific, certainly the same in Linux (my Windows VM hasn't been online for almost a decade, so wouldn't know).

C

chas_m

Way way easier way to go "back" on Mac-Forums -- the path links just about the title of every thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.