Video Transfer from VCR to Mac

Reaction score
I have a bunch of old VCR tapes that I need to transfer to digital format. I have an old video capture device I used to use on my PC, but don't know if it is compatible with Mac or not. It attaches to the computer via USB port. What will I need to capture those old videos to my computer so I can then burn them to DVD's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a bunch of old VCR tapes that I need to transfer to digital format. I have an old video capture device I used to use on my PC, but don't know if it is compatible with Mac or not. It attaches to the computer via USB port. What will I need to capture those old videos to my computer so I can then burn them to DVD's?

Hi HBM.... - welcome to the forum! :) You'll need to provide a LOT more information before any suggestions can be made: 1) What Mac computer (model/year) do you own; 2) What OS X is installed; and 3) What 'video capture' device do you own and what AV outputs are available (e.g. standard RCA, component, etc.)?

Answers to these questions will provide some initial information - Dave

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I have a 2011 Mini Mac running OS X 10.9.4. My capture device is an old ADS Tech DVD Xpress. It connects to the VCR with RCA connectors, and then to the Mac with a USB cable.

I'm thinking I probably need a newer capture device. This one probably isn't supported by Mac.

If that's the case, when I am able to get connected, is it best to import through iTunes or iMovie?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Dave. I have a 2011 Mini Mac running OS X 10.9.4. My capture device is an old ADS Tech DVD Xpress. It connects to the VCR with RCA connectors, and then to the Mac with a USB cable.

I'm thinking I probably need a newer capture device. This one probably isn't supported by Mac.

If that's the case, when I am able to get connected, is it best to import through iTunes or iMovie?

Hi again - thanks for the information; cannot provide much advice on your old DVD capture device, but if you can obtain one that will work w/ your Mac, then importing the tapes into iTunes would certainly be an option.

The other choice would be to 'burn' the tapes to DVD - for years, I've used several generations of the Sony device below (for some reason it is now outrageously priced on Amazon - don't believe I paid much over $200 - may be other 'cheaper' brands/models?).

I'm an old movie fan so record films from TCM onto my Time Warner DVR - then simply have RCA cables (as seen on the side of the device) - can only record to DVD in 'real time' so takes a while. But just another option - and w/ a DVD, you should be able to transfer to your computer's HD? Good luck - Dave :)

419X-8knkpL.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
My capture device is an old ADS Tech DVD Xpress. It connects to the VCR with RCA connectors, and then to the Mac with a USB cable.
You didn't say - did you try the ADS Tech device? I think it will work on OS X without any driver required.
And try the free VLC as capture software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I bought a used sony DVMCDA box online (used) and that is what I use to xfer videos to my MBP. What I like about it is that it uses the firewire port to get better resolution. I use iMovie via camera capture. works great.

OP
H
Reaction score
I did try the old capture device I had, but no luck. It might be because I'm new to iMovie, but I couldn't get anything going through it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to try the device with VLC instead of iTunes. iTunes is a little picky in some ways about the devices it works with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.