Dirty Disc Drive

Reaction score
The "dust flap" (I dont know what its called) for my Macbook disk drive is very sticky and dirty. When I try to put a disk in it is very difficult to get it in there and when it is finally in I have to eject many times before enough of the disk comes out that i can actually pull it out. It also comes out pretty scratched. I thought it was the optical drive itself at first, so I ordered a new one. After replacing my old one, the same thing is happening and I feel quite foolish for not realizing. My question is, how can I clean or replace the "dust flap?" Also if anyone knows what it is actually called please let me know so that I may look up other solutions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that we both know that computers don't get "sticky" all by themselves without some sort of food/beverage item getting involved.;) Unless it's from being in an environment where a lot of cigarette smoking is going on…and the tar in the cigarette smoke has gunked things up over time.

That "dust flap" you mentioned is really not a flap…it's simply a fuzzy/furry material that runs around the perimeter of the optical drive slot…and I don't think that it's replaceable. If inserting a disk is as hard as you say…it's possible that the slot in the computer housing & the optical drive slot have gotten misaligned.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
While I appreciate your reply, it is not at all helpful.

Actually it was helpful. I explained that the "flap" is really not a flap. And that it is possible that the optical drive slot in the alumimum case and the slot of the optical drive itself could be out of alignment (making the insertion & ejecting of disks difficult).

Sorry I didn't give you an exact "spoon-fed" answer that you would have liked. When it comes to problems such as these...unfortunately there isn't always a single 100% guaranteed solution to all problems (every situation can be different).

See you around,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question - do you printed stick on CD/DVD labels by any chance? They can do what you say. If so go back to a pen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good thought Harry. The clearance on slot loading drives is really close.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.