G4 Power Cord

Reaction score
I inherited a PowerMac G4 with no power cord. Can I use a universal power cord, or do I need to buy an Apple Product?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A cord that fits will do. Don't need any special Apple product.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
New Question

Nick, thank you. Power cord plugged in. When I press the power button on the front of the G4, the logo lights up for barely a second. More like a flash. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I press the power button on the front of the G4, the logo lights up for barely a second. More like a flash. Any ideas?

- Are you talking about the Apple logo on the computers display as the computer is booting up?
- Or are you talking about the power button?
- Do you have any Macintosh experience? Just want to make sure I ask questions appropriately…or appropriate questions.:)
- Does the computer make a "happy-sounding"…bong…when it first starts up (after pressing the power button)?
- What happens after you see the Apple logo on the display (if you get anything on the display)?
- What is the history of this "inherited" Powermac G4?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Answers

--Nick,

My brother gave me the computer. It has been in his garage for a long time (in the original box). Having seen it so often I asked him could I play with it.

The light flash is on the power button, not on the display. No happy bong unfortunately.

Not much Macintosh experience, but a little. Experienced with iPhone, iPad, iPos, and have played with a MacBook, but not extensive experience.

Thanks for any further advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…thanks for the info.:)

I guess the big question is…was the computer sitting in the garage in the box for a reason. Such as…was it not working when it was put there? Which of course explains why it's not working correctly now.

When a Mac first starts up (with a monitor attached):

- the computer should go "bonggg" when the power button is pressed
- the display should light up
- and even if the computer has a dead hard drive in it or no hard drive…the display should stay lit up…and a folder with a flashing "?" would appear.

If the computer is shutting down shortly after the power button is pressed…this is not a good start.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I think your question of why was it in the box is a good question. My brother is little help on this. I think he got the computer for his son quite awhile ago.

I agree, this is not a good start. I was hoping there might be something I'm doing wrong that could explain it, or maybe a cool gizmo like a 'Reset' button I could try.

Might be a lost cause... Any suggestions from here other than an e-Recycler? Worth a trip to the Apple store or do they no longer offer support for something as old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a dead power supply alas. Hardly worth spending money on a G4. One thing that may work. Open her up, remove and replace the PRAM battery. Can get these at any computer store. Known as 1/2 AA size.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worth a trip to the Apple store or do they no longer offer support for something as old?

Not unless you want to get laughed at!;) Actually you probably won't get laughed at…but you may be the "Crazy Customer of the Day" winner among the Apple employees!;)

Apple pretty much won't even work on computers as little as 4-5 years old (they call them "vintage"). This Powermac G4 could be as old as 15 years (1999).

And…depending on what exact model Powermac G4 we're talking about (if it was working 100%)…it's only worth about $15-$20. Many times these need to be given away just to get rid of them.

So as you can see…it wouldn't take much investing of cash to exceed it's current market value. Non-working…it could be worth about $10 bucks to someone looking for parts. Otherwise it's really not worth anything to the average Mac person.

The only other thing I can suggest is. Open it up…and remove all the ram & the video card. Then reseat/reinstall them. It's possible that these items got jarred out of place over the years…and may need reseating.

Also. This computer has a PRAM battery. It's probably dead…and usually even with a dead PRAM battery…most Powermac G4's should still startup ok (just that the preference settings and time/date will be wrong). Even a new PRAM battery will cost you $5.00.

- Nick

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry's suggestion about a dead power supply is a great one! It would explain the immediate shut off of the computer.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.