IDVD disk burning issues

Reaction score
using early 2008 era iMac. Using Final Cut Express to edit. Then I burn to disk using IDVD. Just burned a disk using a memorex dvd-r 16x 4.7gb 120 min disk. It burned normal. Then it asked me to burn another and I used a brand new pack of Sony dvd-r 120 min 4.7gb 16x/1x disks. When I put it in it sits for a second and kicks it out telling me to insert a recordable disk. I tried about half the package and none work. I thought they were the same. Ideas?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As you discovered, unfortunately not all recordable disks are the same. Some work, some don't.

Even the same brand disks that worked can fail when from another batch. Not normal for brand name disks, so try some new Memorex disks again.

I usually had good success with maxell brand disks and they were often on sale. Both CD, DVD and DVD-DL disks.

Sony disks were usually overpriced for my wallet, and besides I find most Sony products over-rated as well as over-priced. But that's just MHO. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Personally Verbatim is the go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.