Trackpad problems on macbook

Reaction score
Trackpad wont click. Cursor moves but doesn't click away. When I mouse over the apple icon, it wont open. Problem usually gets solved when i open the icon to adjust. Trackpad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you talking the "touch to click" or the "physical click"?

Problem usually gets solved when i open the icon to adjust. Trackpad.

Not really sure what you mean by…"open the icon to adjust"?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Trackpad malfunction

Are you talking the "touch to click" or the "physical click"?

Not really sure what you mean by…"open the icon to adjust"?

- Nick

I refer to the apple icon which I mentioned in the sentence prior to that one. Cannot touch click or whatever..

Cursor moves but it doesn't click.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I refer to the apple icon which I mentioned in the sentence prior to that one. Cannot touch click or whatever..

Cursor moves but it doesn't click.

Let me help you with something. On internet forums it helps to be 100% clear with what you are saying. Imagine folks hundreds & thousands of miles away trying to understand what you write:

- We cannot see what you see.
- We cannot hear what you hear.
- And we cannot read minds.

When there are gaps in the information posted…we have to ask clarifying questions to fill the gaps. Also don't assume we "know what you mean"…when you write something…be clear.:)

As far as the trackpad problem. Many times these problems can be caused by a swelling or swollen battery. Sometimes this can be noticed externally…and sometimes the computer needs to be opened to see if the battery is swollen.

The next step is yours…(determine if the battery is swollen).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Let me help you with something. On internet forums it helps to be 100% clear with what you are saying. Imagine folks hundreds & thousands of miles away trying to understand what you write:

- We cannot see what you see.
- We cannot hear what you hear.
- And we cannot read minds.

When there are gaps in the information posted…we have to ask clarifying questions to fill the gaps. Also don't assume we "know what you mean"…when you write something…be clear.:)

As far as the trackpad problem. Many times these problems can be caused by a swelling or swollen battery. Sometimes this can be noticed externally…and sometimes the computer needs to be opened to see if the battery is swollen.

The next step is yours…(determine if the battery is swollen).

- Nick

Thanks Nick! Frustrated and too tired. Also first time to be in any forum. I appreciate the help and your guidance. I have checked the back of my MacBook and as I have a hard shell case protecting the whole laptop, I haven't notice a tiny gap until now , perhaps a bulge from the battery already. I have yet to find this out. But it seems that It doesn need some check up. are batteries covered by Apple Protection Plan?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have checked the back of my MacBook and as I have a hard shell case protecting the whole laptop, I haven't notice a tiny gap until now , perhaps a bulge from the battery already. I have yet to find this out. But it seems that It doesn need some check up.

I'm really not sure what you said above. Is there a bulging/swollen battery problem or not??

...are batteries covered by Apple Protection Plan?

You never told us if you have an newer or an older Apple computer. The title says "MacBook". Apple stopped making MacBooks in 2010…so maybe your computer is older. If it's not a MacBook…then it's a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air.

If it's a newer computer a battery problem is less likely. If it's an older computer…then a battery problem is possible.

Are battery's covered by Apple. Yes & no. If it is a damaged/bulging battery…it is possible that is may be covered. But you will only know if you visit an Apple Store…or speak with someone from Apple.

The first thing is…is this battery bulging/swollen or not?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.