Backup routine for iMacs with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got the task to come up with a backup routine for four current gen iMacs. The backups are supposed to be bootable and there is a Boot Camp partition that has to be backed up, too. The iMacs are part of a company network, thus, they can probably use some storage on the network drives. Would it be a good idea to use that as the backup folder?

How would you set up a routine like that? Is it even possible to do that without buying additional software? Or do Time Machine and the built-in system image back thingy of Windows suffice?

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Time Machine will back up your OS X partition, but the backup isn't bootable. Time Machine will not backup Windows installed via Boot Camp. You would need to backup from within Windows. I can't offer advice on this as I never backup my Boot Camp Windows, as it never generates data I need to save.

Reaction score
Make sure the machines in question are left booted into Mac OS when not in use. Then TimeMachine will take care of the Mac side and you can schedule Winclone to take care of the Bootcamp partition. Winclone

[ edit: forgot about the bootable ]
Instead of TimeMachine, schedule CCC ( https://www.bombich.com ) to backup Mac OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Has anyone actually got Winclone to work successfully, either the free or paid version?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest paid version of WinClone reportedly works very well. I would certainly give it a try for backing up or transferring a Windows image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep us posted please cazzac if you use Winclone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.