Wrong partition shown as main partition/can't erase partition

Reaction score
So I partitioned my HD to install the Yosemite public beta. But now, in Disk Utility, Macintosh HD 2 is shown as the main partition in the tree. (This is while I'm booted to my main HD) Additionally, I can't simply delete the new partition as I was expecting to be able to. Why does OS X think that Macintosh HD 2 is now my main partition? How can I fix this and delete the Yosemite public beta partition that I created?

Additionally, I just booted into the Yosemite pb partition wondering if the reverse would be true(that Macintosh HD might there be listed as my main HD). But, no, the situation is the same there. Although, while booted to Yosemite, it offers the option to delete my main HD partition (Macintosh HD).

OP
D
Reaction score
Give ths from Apple Discussions a shot. Personally always name partitions (Yosemite for OS X.10) rather than the confusing HD2, HD3 etc.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4238086i

Thanks for the link but that doesn't work; that is just the normal method for deleting a partition.

Also, I didn't name the partitions; OS X did that.

I'm hoping these screenshots will help:
The first image is what I see upon opening Disk Utility.
N1za7T6

The next two images show that clicking either partion doesn't let you erase the partition by clicking the minus button. You can see that the plus and minus are both greyed out and not clickable.
miu2FZo

JxjqT1n

The last two images are just what I see when I click on the two sub-directories(if that's the proper term).
nKXpVKA

AGXY1gq

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your screenshots didn't come through, a lot of sites disallow embedding images..

You can upload those screenshots directly in your post by clicking on "Go Advanced" and then clicking on Manage Attachments..

M

MacInWin

By right-clicking and following the links I was able to view the images. From what I can see the drive is NAMED Macintosh HD2, and has two partitions of HD and HD2. The grey out means, I think, that for some reason OSX thinks the drive cannot be repartitioned. At this point you may have to backup the Mavericks partition to an external drive and then nuke and pave (total reinstall, repartition, reformat) the drive and restore the backup.

NOTE: To do that, you'll need an external bootable drive or connection to the internet to do an Internet reinstall of Mavericks.

OP
D
Reaction score
By right-clicking and following the links I was able to view the images. From what I can see the drive is NAMED Macintosh HD2, and has two partitions of HD and HD2. The grey out means, I think, that for some reason OSX thinks the drive cannot be repartitioned. At this point you may have to backup the Mavericks partition to an external drive and then nuke and pave (total reinstall, repartition, reformat) the drive and restore the backup.

NOTE: To do that, you'll need an external bootable drive or connection to the internet to do an Internet reinstall of Mavericks.

Thanks for your help...totally lame though! Because I don't know that I did anything wrong. Bummer.

Rather than what you suggest, I think I'll just wait until Yosemite is released and then do a clean install with it. Not looking forward to the piecemeal, clean reinstall, but maybe it'll be better in the long run than going with a archived install as my mbp is now three and a half years-old.

Appreciate the advice, unless anyone knows of another approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good idea. Last estimated date I saw was September 9.......

M

MacInWin

Yeah, probably just as well wait, at this point. DO make a good backup before the nuke and pave, of course!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.