mac mini a1103 OS Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1.1 desktop, Mac Mini 2005, Mac G5 desktop
I have just recently acquired an older Mac Mini G4 and I want to upgrade its OS. The problem I am running into is that when I enter a new name and password it won't accept. I don't know what the original owner of the machine had used so I need to reconfigure the Name and Password for me....any suggestions, or can I just not have Name or Password to upgrade the OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to need an install disk in order to setup a new user and password. Did you receive the original install disk with the Mini? If not, your Mini can probably run Tiger or maybe even Leopard. You'll need a retail install copy of either one. Best place to get a copy is from eBay or Craig's list. Remember, it has to be the black retail version not the silver gray version which is model specific.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini a1103 OS problem

Thanks for the quick reply, I do have the Original Install disks and that is where I had the problem. The system has a sign in name of john doe but when I try to change it and enter a new password it rejects so I'm back to square one. I do however have a Retail Tiger OS that I guess I could try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a 2005 model capable of running, as chscag advised, up to OS X.5.8 Leopard and you need to spend about $60 on a black retail install DVD. Black DVD only and no silver/grey model specific discs. If the Tiger disc is black, sure pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C' and see if the Mini boots from it, and proceed toc change the login etails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mac-osx-10-...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item35db4df6e6

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryb2448 and chscag: Thanks much to both of you. You are correct in that it is a 2005 model, I was trying to go to Leopard and had the gray disks, but I also have the Original OS disks that came with the machine. I do however also have a Retail Tiger OS so I guess that will have to do. Again, thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep us posted on how you go cherokee2 eh and keep coming back? Lots to learn here!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help

RightO mate...My son in law is an Aussie so he said to respond in kind. Anyway, thanks for the help I will let you all know how it goes (by the way I'm from the South.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pass home regards on to the son-in-law please cherokee2!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.