Can't Scan to MBP with HP C4600 Photosmart all-in-one printer

Reaction score
My printer is an older one. MBP is updtd to 10.9.4. I haven't used the printer for scanning in the past. Otherwise, the printer is working and prints out in color or black and white.
When I select scan, the selections window changes to "scan to PC". If I click ok, it starts to scan then an error msg. appears: "Scan error try scan from computer or see documentation". There's no info in the manual re. scanning for Macs. The HP website has info about changing the USB cable, but my cable is working for regular printing.
Does anyone have a clue about this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try using Image Capture and see if things work a bit better.

I'll reserve my comments about scanning in OS X. :( :D

Edit: Sometimes the AIO device needs to be turned off and then turned back on to be recognized.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sanning works great in Mac OS X SUBJECT TO the all in one you are using. HP, like Lexmark, have never made anything Mac friendly. Epson regularly update the software for all OS X and the scan function works fine in mavericks and Yosemite subject to using the Epson Scan software in the Applications folser, and not hitting the 'Scan' button on the printer. Also have had great success using Brother machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.